Puzzled with salt level after Drain & Refill & need general balancing advice

PoolMath CSI vs pH Recommendation Dilemma

The pH level keeps creeping up to 8 every 3-4 days. I say it's at 8, but that's as high as the scale goes on my K2006 kit...I suppose it could be higher.

When I input my test results to obtain CSI, it is most often very close to 0...even when pH is showing 8. It has been recommended to keep pH in the 7's, but I notice when I get more than a couple of tenths less than 8, my CSI goes way down into the potential for etching zone.

My latest numbers Thursday morning (6/20) were:

FC 6.5
CC .5
pH 8
TA 90
CH 225
CYA 54 (most recent addition was last Friday, so may be still rising)
Salt: 5400
Temp 82

CSI.05

After adding 32 oz of MA

pH 7.4
TA 80
Temp: 84

CSI: -.59

I'm sure the reason CSI is low when pH is in the 7's is due CH lower than recommended range.

Is it more important to have pH in the 7's than it is to have CSI in the potential damage zones?
Will the pH continue to creep upward or will this eventually level off?

Thanks,
BT

Re: Puzzled with salt level after Drain & Refill & need general balancing advice

So don't go down to 7.4. Try keeping it above 7.6. Part of this recommendation is because you do not know how high the pH may actually be due to the test scale.

Re: Puzzled with salt level after Drain & Refill & need general balancing advice

With a SWG, you want to maintain your CSI around -0.2 or so to lower the likelihood of scaling in the cell.

Hi,

Wanted to check in and say that TFP method is working well for me. The pool has been running strictly on SWG since back in June and is still crystal clear! Thanks for all the input.

I have been tracking the PH and quantity of acid added and am averaging 11 oz of 31.45% MA per day.

Does this amount of acid seem excessive? Is it possible there is something wrong with my SWG? I have not been running the aerator or water feature at all during this time. There are no bubbles coming into the pumps and the tiny bubbles at returns are only visible at night with light on.

Today's measurements are:
FC: 4.0
CC: 0-.5
pH: 7.8
TA: 75-80

Recently Tested:
CH: 300 <--last reading 2 days ago
CYA: 60 <-- ~1 month ago
Salt: 5400 <-- 2 weeks ago

Filter/SWG run time is 8 hours. 4 during night and 4 mid day.
Cleaner running 5 hrs. 3 at night, 2 mid day.

Tested fill water last week:
pH: 7.6
TA: 130
CH: 200
Salt: 600 <--RO water measured 400 and ulta pure DI from work measured 400....I know the latter is zero ppm salt.

Thank you,
BT

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hi Abigail,

In order to maintain pH of 7.8, I have to add, on average, 11oz of muriatic acid. I am asking if that is normal for SWG pool or should I be looking for some cause.

My pH test only goes to 8 but based on Poolmath, I've reached at least 8.5..possibly higher.

Thank you for your input,
BT

One side effect of a SWG is that it aerates the water. I'm running about 18-20 oz a day with SWG and new plaster. I don't think it's too much. You could work on lowering your TA some to see if that improves things.

jmbradwell, thanks for the input. Sounds like 11 oz/day may not be all that bad.

I am considering using borates to stabilize the pH. The TA of fill water is 130 and I've read that once you add borates, it becomes more difficult to alter the TA. With the relatively high TA of fill water and considering I'm in a hot dry climate, are borates still a good means of stabilizing the pH?

Thanks,
BT

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.