Best Way To Use 2" of Rigid Foam Under Pool Linner???

PPrince

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
North Coast of Ohio
So I'm thinking that when I set up my pool for the first time that I want to put down some protection for the bottom and either Extruded polystyrene (XPS) rigid foam or Expanded polystyrene (EPS) for insulation, smooth bottom and comfort.

Once the ground is level and ready to go, I am considering a Gorilla Pad for protection from rocks and growing things.

Then 2 inches of Extruded polystyrene cut to size and taped together, then the pool liner.

Question, I'm guessing I don't want to put the pavers for the support posts on top of the foam but rather sink them level with the ground. If I do that and then put down 2 " of foam, I am loosing 2 " of pool water and depth. Probably not a good thing, right? To compensate, if I set 2" pavers on the ground then put down the foam and cut around the pavers and extend the foam all the way to the edge of the pool and also fill with some dirt around the outside... would that work? Other, more difficult option would be to sink the pavers level with the ground then excavate 2" of dirt to drop the foam into making the top of the foam level with the pavers and surrounding ground.

Anybody do any of these options or have other suggestions?

Thanks. :D

Typically you use 1" thick foam, pavers that are roughly 2" thick, sink the pavers 1" into the ground, and cut out the foam where the pavers will be so the top of the foam is level with the top of the pavers. There are other ways to get the same effect depending on what thickness materials you are using. Whatever you do, you want the top of the pavers to end up level with the top of the foam.

Reactions: Nikole
Re: Best Way To Use 2" of Rigid Foam Under Pool Linner??? FOLLOW UP

Thanks Jason. I changed my plans from 2" foam to 1" foam. Using 2 1/2" pavers and sinking them 1 1/2 inches so the pavers will be level with the foam.

Follow-up question. What about the bottom rail and the pool wall? In other words, the pavers will support the bottom plates and the vertical uprights but what about the "space" between each paver? Does the bottom rail (and thus that part of the pool wall) between each paver need support? Should I just extend the rigid foam under the bottom rail and pool wall or should I fill with some dirt or not worry about it?

Thanks. :confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.