Weekend purchase: Intex vs PRO Series 16x48 pros/cons

Jun 5, 2014
Brentwood, Ca (Nor-Cal)
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Picking up one of the above pools this weekend, price difference is $20. I know the liner, quality and setup is about the same. The ProSeries has a wall mounted skimmer while Intex is I believe ground pump? Biggest reviews I see is that the intex pump is weak.

I would upgrade pumps next summer and use as is this summer.

Which pool is easier to add a better pump to in the future? Do they both take modification?

Just looking for pros/cons on each =)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The Intex I bought came with the 12 inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump which seems to be a decent pump for this size pool. No filters to replace either. Make sure you check the box to see which filter the pool comes with if you plan on using the original pump. I think Intex has different packages with the same pool, but different accessories.

Picking up one of the above pools this weekend, price difference is $20. I know the liner, quality and setup is about the same. The ProSeries has a wall mounted skimmer while Intex is I believe ground pump? Biggest reviews I see is that the intex pump is weak.

I would upgrade pumps next summer and use as is this summer.

Which pool is easier to add a better pump to in the future? Do they both take modification?

Just looking for pros/cons on each =)

The pro series with the wall mounted skimmer takes more doing to add another pump too. You have to modify the bottom of the skimmer basket where the pump is mounted to add a fitting to hook a different pump up to. I have also read that people are having issues dumping the junk in the filter back into the pool when replacing the filters. The filter is in the skimmer right above the pump.

I think if it were me I would go with the regular pool and put $10 with the $20 more that the pro series cost and get a Hayward thru wall skimmer that will work better than the pro series skimmer and allows you to hook whatever pump you want to up to it. The one that comes with the pool or any other.

Regular pool as in intex or pro? The skimmer upgrade is $30 and is a direct replacement? Any Link?

Exactly why I'm researching and asking, thank you!

Search the forums for Intex Hayward Skimmer... lots of threads on installing. It's not a direct conversion, you'll have to mount it and cut your pool... but don't fret! it's pretty easy from what I've seen.

Regular pool as in intex or pro? The skimmer upgrade is $30 and is a direct replacement? Any Link?

Exactly why I'm researching and asking, thank you!

I would get the Intex Ultra Frame regular pool and not the pro series with the built in skimmer.

Then I would add this skimmer (it wet up $9 since I ordered mine 2 weeks ago)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-history?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_orders_ap&

There is a pretty good tutorial here about the install. It's not hard at all if you are at least somewhat handy. If you will install it when you are putting the pool up with it half full of water....you can install the butterfly gasket that comes with it in one piece rather than have to split it like most of us do with a full pool.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-Wall-Skimmer-to-Intex-Metal-Frame-Pool-(PICS!

Not too bad, Makes me lean to the intex! Scariest part is the liner trimming it looks lol

There is nothing natural about cutting a big hole in a perfectly good pool, every fiber in your body says "what are you doing". I know....it just did it a week ago. It is simple to do, I mounted mine as high as I could with the inner flange covering part of the gray part of the pool and the screws passing just underneath the gray part of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Picked up my Intex 16x48, ordered my Hayward 109 skimmer and terrace border.

I was looking at the 2650 pump, what modification has to be done to run that if any? I may pick one up at the end of this season, if not sooner!

You will have to make an adapter from normal 1-1/2" threads to the Intex 50mm straight threads to hook the 2650 to your skimmer.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...adapters-Step-by-step-Lots-of-embedded-photos

Not true....the hoses that come with the 2650 will hook to the barbed fitting that comes with the skimmer. All you have to do is let the nut slide down the hose and push the hose up on the barbed fitting and add a hose clamp to secure it. I ran mine this way for a couple of weeks before I hard plumbed the whole thing. You will only need to build the adaptors if you plan on hard plumbing. The Hayward skimmer uses standard pipe threads and I would recommend adding a shut off valve in between the skimmer and the barbed fitting that comes with the skimmer like I did in the picture below.

If you are going to hard plumb or need to hook anything directly to the pump or Intex pool valves...the link provided is how you build the adaptors.

Can any of you who are closely familiar with the intex ultra frame AND the pro series tell me if the frame parts from the intex will fit the pro series liner? (long story but I've ended up with a pro series liner by accident)

And the party has started lol. Got 80' terrace border on its way from HD and waiting for my skimmer to ship from Amazon that O I ordered Sunday ugh!
ybutama5.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.