Returns "spitting air"

I wondered if this is normal. The returns tend to occasionally "burp" and spit air bubbles...almost like there is air in the system. Wondered if this is normal, or if I may have an air leak somewhere I need to address...

This happened to me and I was losing pressure on my pump. Air was being introduced into my system through a drain plug that was not on quite right.

I found a video on youtube of someone demonstrating how lighting 3 sticks on incense to create a cloud of smoke and bringing these sticks close to every point where air can sneak in on the suction side. When I did this, I saw the cloud of smoke being pulled to where my problem was. Quick and easy fix using this method.

Hope this helps

Reactions: dalstrs
Thanks...we had trouble priming the pump at start up because we think one of the intake lines has a small air leak so I suspect this is the culprit.

I'm going to work on the assumption that we shouldn't be seeing these burps and bubbles.... :) I appreciate your help.

I have had to remove the filter basket from the pump several times in the last 2 weeks to clean it....I wonder if this may have something to do with it. Hopefully have some time to mess with it this weekend and figure it out.

SLAM is nearly complete. We could see the drain this morning.

I have had to remove the filter basket from the pump several times in the last 2 weeks to clean it....I wonder if this may have something to do with it. Hopefully have some time to mess with it this weekend and figure it out.

SLAM is nearly complete. We could see the drain this morning.
Very possibly. Rule one with mechanical work: the last thing you worked on is the first thing that leaks. So check that pump basket cover O-ring. Even a blade of grass can cause problems. Make sure it's lubricated good, too.

A sticking weir (flapper) in the skimmer or low water level allowing a vortex in the skimmer can also produce what you describe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.