New Intex Pool - HELP

Welcome! :wave:

Well... you know you won't have any stabilizer in tap water. And you know you'll be needing bleach. Whether or not you need to raise or lower the pH can only be known by testing.

Do you have a test kit? Of any kind? A decent test kit will cost you a sizeable percentage of the cost of your pool, so I hesitate to push the TF100, but you need something. And test strips are too unreliable. If the container gets damp.... forget it. They're ruined. And you might not realize it.

If the pool is filled and the kids want to get in, get some bleach in there pronto. With zero stabilizer, you want 3 ppm, which is 3 cups of Clorox 8.25% bleach.

You'll need to add stabilizer aka CYA aka Cyanuric acid as well. Just about 1.75 lbs or 3.5 cups (kitchen measuring cups) tied in a sock and set in the skimmer.

One caveat: if they gave you any kind of starter chemicals, sometimes those are useful instead of the bleach and CYA.

So: let us know what kit you have and what chemicals, if any, you have. In the meantime, add that Clorox and give it fifteen minutes to mix before you let the kids in. Or get them out, add it, and make them wait fifteen minutes to get back in.

This article in pool school does a good job explaining how to add things. This one will get you speaking our language.

I ordered the TF100 test kit so hopefully that will be showing up soon. I only have a leaf skimmer so do I need to get something different for this sock to sit in? Any alternate way to do this?

I really appreciate all the help.

Lots of ways. Tie it in front of the return and let the water stream pummel it. Build a hobo pole and let it hang from that. Tie it to a floating toy and let it bob around.

attachment.php

I ordered the TF100 Test Kit from poolsupplyworld.com on 06/06 and it never shipped yet. So now I have a pool filled with water and I am afraid it will go south as the rep I just talked to at Pool Supply World said it might ship tomorrow or Friday. UGH so irritated. I don't want my pool to head south as i cannot just drain and refill as it is not an option.

6/10 - Pool filled added 3.5 cups stabalizer in the sock method and 3 cups of Bleach (8.25%)
6/11 - Added 3 cups of Bleach (8.25%)

Now I don't know what to do until I get my test kit. The cover of the pool was very slimmy on the bottom when I took it off today.

Slime doesn't sound good!!! You really need your kit for accurate result and treatment, BUT, if I were you, I would at least add close to a gallon of bleach to the pool for now to stop any invasion... Don't swim immediatley after. I would circulate the water and wait a few hours IMHO. hopefully someone else will come offer some better advice. put cover back on after bleach to let the water kill off the slime!

That's good advice. Get some serious bleach in there. You should have some CYA dissolved already, so you'll need to bring it up pretty high. And brush! That slimy feeling is a sort of protective scab on the algae. You need to brush iot off so the bleach can kill it.

A little sliminess and haze can be gotten rid of quickly once you have the test and can do things the right way, but right now, you need to stall things.

I ordered the TF100 Test Kit from poolsupplyworld.com on 06/06 and it never shipped yet. So now I have a pool filled with water and I am afraid it will go south as the rep I just talked to at Pool Supply World said it might ship tomorrow or Friday. UGH so irritated. I don't want my pool to head south as i cannot just drain and refill as it is not an option.
Hey athomer, so sorry I did not see this until now! I wanted to check in and make sure your pool is squared away? If there is anything I can do to make-up for the delayed ship time on the test kit, please let me know. We moved through a lot of kits this season, so sometimes we ran out of stock before getting our next supply. I've been working hard to make sure that does not happen anymore, and I think we have the kinks worked out. Happy swimming!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.