Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae or Metal

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae or Metal

We have well water with iron in it. I'm having a tough time knowing whether I'm still fighting algae or if I have metal staining going on. I've been SLAMing, keeping FC > 14.

Current results:
    FC 18
    CC 2.0
    CYA 35
    TA 150
    PH 7.2 when I started

I vac the bottom once a day and always get some brown, though I'm vacuuming blind and can't really see what's going on there. I sort of wonder if there's a hole in the liner in one certain spot that always seems to generate dirt.

Am I still fighting algae or could this be metal staining?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18K gal 28ft round AGP, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5HP pump, 22" diameter round Sand filter 150lbs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae or Metal

With CC at 2, I'd say it's still algae.

Maybe you should recheck the CYA. Maybe the FC isn't high enough. It's a tough test. There's no shame in pouring the sample back into the mixing bottle and taking a dozen readings if necessary until you start to see the same number come up enough to notice.

- - - Updated - - -

With CC at 2, I'd say it's still algae.

Maybe you should recheck the CYA. Maybe the FC isn't high enough. It's a tough test. There's no shame in pouring the sample back into the mixing bottle and taking a dozen readings if necessary until you start to see the same number come up enough to notice.

PS: that grit you find is probably iron precipitating out. Vacuum it up and flush it out and be rid of it! If the water is still greenish when the FC holds overnight and the CC is low and the water is otherwise crystal clear, then it's metals and a sequestrant with clear it up in very short order.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this algae? This pic is from yesterday after vacuuming. There was much less today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18K gal 28ft round AGP, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5HP pump, 22" diameter round Sand filter 150lbs

4. Back To Top    #4

No, that's just windblown debris. The garden hose on jet stream and a scrub brush will clean that out.

You can minimize that by stretching a knee-high nylon over the skimmer basket to stop it from getting through to the pump.

Pictures of skimmer nylon
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the link - that's helpful.

Yeah, we've had some 'windblown debris' out here lately! Perhaps you've heard about the storms that rolled through Blair earlier this week. Amazing weather! Another storm went through last night (not severe) and I'm again vacuuming green leaves out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, things aren't working out so well. Last year I used Jack's Pink Stuff and had clear water. This year I tried Robelle Mineral Out and had no success. After dumping two bottles, I called Robelle and they suggested two more. That didn't help.

I ordered four bottles of Pink Stuff and put two in. No change, so per the label I added two more. I still have green water.

FC 4.0
    CC 0.5
    TA 50
    CYA 50
    PH 6.8

Here's a pic. Any suggestions?
    rsz_img_5869.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

You need to SLAM
    *Shock
    *Level
    *And
    *Maintain

You keep it there (shock level for your CYA)until:
    Water is clear
    No CC's
    You can pass OCLT
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Your ph is too low. Suggest you get it up to 7.2 or so ASAP
    24x48 Atlantic AGP
    18" Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo LX

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to SLAM
    Okay, I started SLAM last night.

Your ph is too low. Suggest you get it up to 7.2 or so ASAP
    Is that related to the color of the water or for swimmer comfort? Could you clarify (no pun intended ) why it's important. Robelle suggested lowing the Ph and Chlorine both before adding product so that's what I have been doing.

Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

PH below 7.0 can damage the pool. If it is really 6.8 that isn't a big deal, but the test will report any PH below 6.8 as 6.8 so your actual PH could be much lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I've been slamming. The water is less bright green, slightly more grey. Not much change in color but there definitely is a change.

I am concerned that the filter might not be working properly. I put two nylon knee-highs over the skimmer basket and that caught some fine debris. Since the nylon seemed to help, I added a piece of an old white T-shirt under the nylon in the skimmer basket. Within a couple hours, the shirt material was completely clogged with green slime and the pump was starving for water. I pulled the shirt out and just have the nylon in now.

Should I try something different to try to improve filtering, or am I on the right track? The pool has not been clear at all this year. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and going nowhere.

PH is up to 7.2 now.

12. Back To Top    #12

Are you backwashing when the pressure rises 25% above clean filter pressure?

Have you deep cleaned the filter: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter

Confirm the filter is working properly and then you could try adding DE: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter

What size/pounds is the filter? Add info to sig

- - - Updated - - -

ooh, wait. Your pool is still green Don't add DE yet.

What FC level are you maintaining?

Can you confirm the CYA level?

The best thing to do is keep SLAMing. You are on the right road.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have been keeping FC above 18. It's been getting a gallon of bleach every morning and evening.

Current results:
    FC 18 (right before I added another gallon)
    CC 0 (finally!)
    CYA 50

The filter is 22" diameter and takes 150lbs of sand. I put new sand in this spring. I'm backwashing about every day.

14. Back To Top    #14

Eventually I will be done with SLAM (hopefully!). Remember I already put in four of Robelle Mineral-Out and four Jack's Pink Stuff. I've had to add a couple inches of water twice to replace what's being lost to backwashing so there is un-sequestered water or whatever you want to call it in there.

Should I order more sequestrant now so I'm ready when the time comes?

I ordered refill chems for my test kit and will be able to post full test results tonight.

15. Back To Top    #15

Success.

The water is clear. We can see the bottom! It still has enough dirt on it that even vacuuming like I was, blind, I missed a lot. Now that the bottom is visible, we'll just have to vac to waste a couple of times to get it cleaned up.

And... the water is barely tinted green any more! I guess the previous sequestrant wasn't wasted after all!

16. Back To Top    #16

Have you passed the three criteria to determine that you have completed the SLAM process? See red lines in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

No, I haven't finished the SLAM yet. I was just pleased that we are making progress. There is still a bunch of dirt and debris in the bottom of the pool... we vac to waste until the water level is too low, add water and bleach, then let it settle overnight and do it again. Today might be the last day of that. Once we're done adding water daily, I'll try an OCLT and see where we stand.

I think all this started when we didn't cover the pool for the winter. There are no trees around but still a lot of dirt and debris made its way into the pool. I learned to turn the pump off overnight to let it all settle down, otherwise the water was just too stirred up to know what was going on.

Either way, it's getting there! Thanks for the help so far.

18. Back To Top    #18

If it's just dirt and silt, why not vacuum to filter and then do a backwash? Less water used.

19. Back To Top    #19

The filter seems to plug rather quickly and then starts blowing dirt/silt back into the pool, starting the problem all over again.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by twosocks90 View Post
    The filter seems to plug rather quickly and then starts blowing dirt/silt back into the pool, starting the problem all over again.
    Sounds like the sand is clumped up into clods and the dirt makes its way through the cracks between. A deep cleaning ought to fix that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast