Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OK, pool is clean and clear, readings look decent....next step?

1. Back To Top    #1

OK, pool is clean and clear, readings look decent....next step?

Already, I have all the algae and stuff out of pool, has been slammed, readings look pretty decent. Any suggestions for slight adjustments to keep it that way? I feel like I may need to raise the PH a little?? More CYA?

Also, keep in mind I basically live in the middle of the woods, pool gets full sunlight but lots of different trees and plants around. not sure how that will affect where I want to keep my chemical levels?

Temp 80
    FC 3.0
    TC 3.0
    PH 7.2
    Alk 140
    CYA 22

Thanks for everyones help so far! looking forward to actually enjoying my pool this year and not hating it!
    30' Above Ground Pool-approximate 4' deep 20,000 gallons (Watson's)-lots of trees
    1.5 HP motor (High 16amp/Low 4.8amp) Waterway pump, 175 SQ FT Cartridge Filter
    AQUA SMARTE Chlorine/mineral System - not active

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OK, pool is clean and clear, readings look decent....next step?

Numbers look good. I would get the CYA up to at least 30. I would wait to see which way the PH trends. Mine tends to creep up on its own. If yours starts to go down I might try to raise it up, but I would wait and see.
    Mark
    IG plaster, 22,000 gallon, Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, raise CYA to 30-40 and adjust the FC to the new levels and gloat about your sparkly pool.

Your pH will probably climb pretty quickly if a bunch of kids get in and start splashing, so don't fuss with it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Don't forget to pat yourself on the back :P

How'd you get a CYA reading of 22? I'm just curious on the test used. If it's a trustworthy test, I'd also suggest raising that to 30-40, It's amazing what a little CYA will do to prevent the sun destruction of CL.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! I don't want this pool to be a chlorine money pit again so I will definitely raise CYA! Just use condiioner form pool store?

I got the CYA reading from my TF-100 test kit
    30' Above Ground Pool-approximate 4' deep 20,000 gallons (Watson's)-lots of trees

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BLUR2U View Post
    Thanks guys! I don't want this pool to be a chlorine money pit again so I will definitely raise CYA! Just use condiioner form pool store?

You can. Or the hardware store. Or Walmart. Whatever's convenient. There are fewer temptations if you stay out of the pool store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BLUR2U View Post

So I gotta ask, how do you use the kit to get a reading of 22? For me I struggle to get that accurate.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

What chemical can I used as conditioner? I must have missed that in my research??

On the CYA it was slightly below the 20 mark when the black circle disappeared, I compared it to the 30 mark and it appeared to be about 1/4 of the distance so the 22 is really a guess...but I know it was higher than 20 and not halfway to 30.

9. Back To Top    #9

Conditioner - stabilizer - cyanuric acid - isocyanuric acid - CYA.... it's all the same stuff.