Salt Levels

Sep 19, 2013
Rome, GA
I added enough salt to get my levels to about 3000 and verified that with my Taylor K1766 Salt Test. My SWG is telling me that the salt level is only 2600 and a light is flashing indicating low salt level. Who should I believe here? Should I add more salt or trust the test kit results?

The salt was added about 2 weeks ago, so it has had time to fully mix.

Last edited:
My "Inspect Cell" light was flashing on the Aqua Rite panel, indicating it was time to clean the cell. I cleaned it with muriatic acid as outlined in the manual, but it is still flashing to inspect the cell. Could this mean the cell is going bad? Would that cause it to give an incorrect salt level reading? I added a 40 lb bag of salt earlier this week and the reading hasn't changed at all.

The Inspect Cell light comes on after a certainly amount of run time. This means to inspect it to see if it need cleaning, not that it actually needs to be cleaned.

There is a procedure to clear the Inspect cell light ... check the manual as I do not remember the process.

Your situation sounds EXACTLY like mine. I installed a new Hayward added salt to 3200ppm (according to my test) and the SWG said 2700ppm and would not generate. By checking another members pool, I discovered that my cell was fine and that my test seemed to test higher than the SWG read out. So, I added more salt. Now my test says 3800ppm and the SWG says around 3300ppm and all is well.

You need to press the small diagnostic button for three seconds to reset the inspect cell timer.

By the by, there is no reason to clean the cell unless you actually see calcium deposits on the cell plates.

You need to press the small diagnostic button for three seconds to reset the inspect cell timer.

By the by, there is no reason to clean the cell unless you actually see calcium deposits on the cell plates.

I pressed the diagnostic button for 3 secs to reset the light, but after a few minutes the light began flashing again. That's why I'm wondering if the cell may be going bad.

The cell looked pretty bad, so I decided to go ahead and clean it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.