Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Levels

I added enough salt to get my levels to about 3000 and verified that with my Taylor K1766 Salt Test. My SWG is telling me that the salt level is only 2600 and a light is flashing indicating low salt level. Who should I believe here? Should I add more salt or trust the test kit results?

The salt was added about 2 weeks ago, so it has had time to fully mix.
    Last edited by drestes; 06-06-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    18 x 36 vinyl liner IG pool, grecian shape, ~27k gal
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward DE3620 Filter
    Hayward Aqua Rite Electronic SWG, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Levels

You are going to have to believe the Aqua Rite since it will not function without the required amount of salt.
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

You probably want to run a bit higher than 3K anyways. Just dump a bag in and see if that makes your SWG happy.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! Is there any way to "reset" the SWG to see if it has a faulty reading? Otherwise I'll add another bag of salt and see what it does.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can reset it by turning it off and then back on again. Add the salt. If the SWG doesn't think there is enough salt, it won't even attempt to make chlorine.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

sometimes you have to wait until the water circulates to get the readings in line.

7. Back To Top    #7

My "Inspect Cell" light was flashing on the Aqua Rite panel, indicating it was time to clean the cell. I cleaned it with muriatic acid as outlined in the manual, but it is still flashing to inspect the cell. Could this mean the cell is going bad? Would that cause it to give an incorrect salt level reading? I added a 40 lb bag of salt earlier this week and the reading hasn't changed at all.

8. Back To Top    #8

The Inspect Cell light comes on after a certainly amount of run time. This means to inspect it to see if it need cleaning, not that it actually needs to be cleaned.

There is a procedure to clear the Inspect cell light ... check the manual as I do not remember the process.

Your situation sounds EXACTLY like mine. I installed a new Hayward added salt to 3200ppm (according to my test) and the SWG said 2700ppm and would not generate. By checking another members pool, I discovered that my cell was fine and that my test seemed to test higher than the SWG read out. So, I added more salt. Now my test says 3800ppm and the SWG says around 3300ppm and all is well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to press the small diagnostic button for three seconds to reset the inspect cell timer.

By the by, there is no reason to clean the cell unless you actually see calcium deposits on the cell plates.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    You need to press the small diagnostic button for three seconds to reset the inspect cell timer.

By the by, there is no reason to clean the cell unless you actually see calcium deposits on the cell plates.
    I pressed the diagnostic button for 3 secs to reset the light, but after a few minutes the light began flashing again. That's why I'm wondering if the cell may be going bad.

The cell looked pretty bad, so I decided to go ahead and clean it.