Vacuuming question? (frequency)

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I have my first pool (for about a week) and I am trying to learn the basics. (finally got the water balanced) One thing I noticed is a TON of debris in the bottom of the pool each day. A lot of it seems to be bugs, centipedes, tree lice etc. I spend a lot of time each day vacuuming and figured this was normal... I can't see how you would get around it. My Wife was reading that many people don't have to vacuum everyday but I find this hard to believe.

I also wanted to know if the robotic cleaners work well, and what is the best type of vacuum head to use? I have a flat one with rollers on the bottom.

Thank you!

I'm new, my pool is new, I also have that same design of vacuum head. It's absolute garbage IMO. I get a decent amount of dirt in my pool daily, but I only vac. a cpl times a week. If you're getting a lot of bugs in the bottom, I'm curious how your skimmer baskets looks? Are they empty? My skimmers catch most of the bugs, so if yours aren't catching things I'm curious if there's an issue, maybe as simple as reaiming the returns to help move debris by the skimmers so they can catch stuff.

I have a Dolphin Oasis Z5 on order. I'll post a review once I get to play with it. It will be delivered today. I've been told by people with more experience than I that you get what you pay for with robots. I have only seen one robot in action (Dolphin M5). It was very impressive.

I would suggest you put some details about your pool in your signature, it will help others help you.

I defiantly have a "Plaster Vacuum" style head. My pool is a solid shell (fiberglass?) I am not sure because the previous home owners didn't leave much information on it.

It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/USNIfTv.jpg

It does suck stuff up but It takes forever and I have to go VERY slow.

You know my skimmer basket never has very much in it. Although my of the debris at the bottom seems to be those tree lice / pill bugs / rolly pollys things. I don't think they float. However I have to skim constantly by hand, although I do see water flowing into the basket area. I posted in another thread about water height. I think the water is about 3 inches from the bottom of the skimmer intake hole. Would that hurt the effectiveness?

Thanks guys!

I defiantly have a "Plaster Vacuum" style head. My pool is a solid shell (fiberglass?) I am not sure because the previous home owners didn't leave much information on it.

It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/USNIfTv.jpg

It does suck stuff up but It takes forever and I have to go VERY slow.

You know my skimmer basket never has very much in it. Although my of the debris at the bottom seems to be those tree lice / pill bugs / rolly pollys things. I don't think they float. However I have to skim constantly by hand, although I do see water flowing into the basket area. I posted in another thread about water height. I think the water is about 3 inches from the bottom of the skimmer intake hole. Would that hurt the effectiveness?

Thanks guys!
The water height sounds right. Do you have a weir? That's the flapper thing in the skimmer mouth. It should float and rise and fall with the waves. It can make a huge difference in skimmer efficiency. Also, if you have a main drain, it only needs to be open a little bit. You want most of the suction at the skimmer.

And then you start playing with the return jets. Try moving them around to shove things towards the skimmer.

Hmm I never noticed anything flapping, unless its stuck. I know what you are talking about, I defiantly have never noticed it in the closed position if it exists. I will check that out. I know there is a drain port on a wall closer to the bottom. I am not sure which valve adjusts that however. I have a simple sheet that was left behind stating the steps on what to turn to use vacuum and that's about it.

http://i.imgur.com/uccHF7z.jpg

I had no idea how the jets were suppose to be positioned so I didn't mess with them. That makes a lot of sense!

I really appreciate all the help!

The three way valve in the lower left regulates the flow between the drain and the skimmer, or between two skimmers, or between pool and spa. Since you haven't filled out your signature, I can only speculate....

The wedge shaped end opposite the handle indicates what is blocked. Experiment. Shut off the pump, crank the handle one way, turn the pump back on, and go investigate what's happening in the pool. Then repeat it but move the handle the other way. If it is a balance between drain and skimmer, close off the drain a bit more.

The three way valve in the lower left regulates the flow between the drain and the skimmer, or between two skimmers, or between pool and spa. Since you haven't filled out your signature, I can only speculate....

The wedge shaped end opposite the handle indicates what is blocked. Experiment. Shut off the pump, crank the handle one way, turn the pump back on, and go investigate what's happening in the pool. Then repeat it but move the handle the other way. If it is a balance between drain and skimmer, close off the drain a bit more.

+1.

Label them once you figure out what does what.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.