Pool has a crack along top lip?

Welcome ro TFP !!!!!!

What is your pool made of? At first I thought fiberglass but when I looked again it appears painted. So what is it?

Also could we get a picture that puts the crack in the context of the whole pool.

If you put your pool specs in your signature it helps.

Thanks for the Welcome!

The owners didn't leave much information on the pool outside of some basic care instructions. It is about 10 years old. It looks like plastic, not sure what a painted pools base material is though. I don't notice any discoloration, chipping or anything else besides the crack. Its in one area, as mentioned 1 1/2 feet long or so. I will take better pictures and post them up. This is what the entire pool looks like if it helps?

http://i.imgur.com/USNIfTv.jpg

Thank you for the help!

You have a fiberglass pool. where is the crack in relation to the whole pool? Over steps?

So the pool is set on a gravel or sand base and the plumbing is hooked up and the sides back filled. Its possible that over time the back fill has deteriorated in that area and there is a loss of support and the pool is cracking. Or it could be something else.

Because its on the top lip of the pool I think you need someone to evaluate it and give you a bid on repairing it. 1 1/2 feet is rather long. I'd want someone to at least try to figure why.

I would call some local Fiberglass pool builders and see if they do repairs.

Or there are several threads on here about crack repairs in fiberglass pools that describe various fixes. You can do it yourself.

Because its so long, I'd want someone experienced to come look at it before you attempt to repair it yourself.

Finally, cracks are like small children, they tend to grow no matter what you do. So act fairly quickly.

The crack is on the left side of the pool from the view point of the picture I posted. There are no steps near it.

Ugh that is very bad news, I am guessing a repair due to deteriorated back fill would need the concrete removed and back yard partially dug out around the pool? I sure wish I knew how long it has been there. So any random local pool builder would come out to look at it? I am guessing they do repairs on them but will they be honest or just tell me everything needs fixed? Are there such things as pool inspectors?

Thanks!

If it were on your steps, I'd give you a very strong possibility it was a backfill problem. But yours isn't on the steps. You generally want to try and figure out the why before you fix cracks.

I'd call a few pool builders and ask. You want old fiberglass pool builders -- guys who have been around a while. Have a couple come out, evaluate it and give you bids on proposed solutions. If they all say there is nothing structurally wrong jut fix the crack you can do that yourself if you want to. Warning== fix the crack do it correctly they tend to grow. If they say you have a washed out backfill or other structural problem then they will propose solutions.

Pump them for information. You are looking for information. If you find one who makes sense and gives you a reasonable price and has a good reputation you hire him to fix it.

There are pool inspectors. I doubt there is anyone in St Louis that makes a living doing pool inspections. There are also pool engineers. But that's not what you really need in my opinion. You need someone with experience fixing fiberglass pools. The right guy will probably be able to tell you who installed your pool and how they did it. He will have a good idea how to fix it if there is a problem behind the crack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.