Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy valve connection question

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy valve connection question

We have a Pentair 6-way valve (model SM2-20-2/SM2-PP2) on our older pool. The backwash port looks like 1.5" threaded to ~2" slip on PVC union. I want to replace this with a NH threaded union for a fire hose that I bought. I know very little about pump pad construction and PVC connections, but it looks like the slip-on union is glued to the valve. Is this likely? If so, is there anyway I can remove it? Or will I have to cut my new fire hose?
    Thanks for any input!
    Inherited this 1984 Anthony Pool Lazy L shaped pool in July 2013.Drained, Acid-washed, and trucked in new water in July 2013.
    18,000 gallon, In-ground, White Plaster, DE, INTELLIFLO VS+SVRS Pump (2013), Polaris 280 Automatic Cleaner(2013)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy valve connection question

It is common to glue directly to a multi-port valve. However if you have a threaded connection present, it should be possible to unscrew the existing threaded connection and then attach an appropriate adapter there.

Whatever the situation actually is, you will need to attach an appropriate adapter, and that is easy enough to do regardless. If you post a photo we can give more specific advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll snap a picture after work. The current adapter looks like this -45086_1_2011721163632.jpg
    and appears to be glued. If I give it enough muscle, can I removed it if it is glued? If it can't be removed, do I have any other options?
    Inherited this 1984 Anthony Pool Lazy L shaped pool in July 2013.Drained, Acid-washed, and trucked in new water in July 2013.
    18,000 gallon, In-ground, White Plaster, DE, INTELLIFLO VS+SVRS Pump (2013), Polaris 280 Automatic Cleaner(2013)

4. Back To Top    #4

If it is glued you will want to find a pipe size that can be glued to the fitting and then glue the correct adapter to that.

Chances are it is just very tight. It is not common to glue threaded fittings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I took a closer look after work; what I thought was glue was some kind of caulk. Took a bit of umph, but it came right off. Thanks so much for the advice!