Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid Question

I recently purchased Muriatic Acid Next from Lowes. It has a green rather than a blue label and it has less fumes and lower odor. Is it as effective as the regular Muriatic Acid in lowering the Ph?

Thanks for your help!
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Meria tic Acid Question

You likely purchased a lower concentration formula. The low fume version is typically 10 baume (15.725%) versus the 20 baume (31.45%). You can use it but it will take more volume to do the required PH reduction. If you use the poolmath sheet here, change to the concentration on the label.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Muriatic Acid Question

Jt is correct.

It will work but take more of it to do the same job. I would suggest finding 31.45% strength.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the blue label from Lowes. I've tried both and found only the blue label really works.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help! I will go back to the blue label.
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I would encourage you to do some price comparison on this as well if you are paying the $7.29 per gallon as advertised on their website, I suspect you can do much better from another source. I've been buying 31.45% at Menards for $3.99@
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.