That TFPC Clean Pool Smell

JVTrain

TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
Until owning my own pool this year, I had only swam in other people's pools (probably poorly maintained) and commercial pools. They all had a typically pungent aroma of chlorine, those dreaded combined chlorines. Now that I have a well balanced pool of my own, I've taken to... taking in it's smell. When I'm in the pool, I get a slight hint of that chlorine/bleach smell but almost nothing. When patrolling my pool deck with the skimmer net for rogue maple seeds and doomed insects I smell almost nothing. Almost. The only way I can describe it is a faint hint of something similar to antifreeze. I can't help but remember the jugs of RV antifreeze that were in the skimmer buckets when I opened the pool for the first time. The lines were properly winterized and obviously some of that antifreeze went in my pool from the lines when I opened. Could I possibly be still smelling it? It's an extremely faint aroma but that's all that comes to mind when I smell it.

What do your pools smell like? Anyone else who has to completely winterize in a colder climate have a similar take?

I don't use antifreeze because I have an above ground pool but I just told my husband the other day that our pool smells so good. I wouldn't say it's a chlorine smell but it's a nice and clean smell. :cool: Then he said, I'm so glad you take such good care of the pool! :mrgreen:

Until owning my own pool this year, I had only swam in other people's pools (probably poorly maintained) and commercial pools. They all had a typically pungent aroma of chlorine, those dreaded combined chlorines. Now that I have a well balanced pool of my own, I've taken to... taking in it's smell. When I'm in the pool, I get a slight hint of that chlorine/bleach smell but almost nothing. When patrolling my pool deck with the skimmer net for rogue maple seeds and doomed insects I smell almost nothing. Almost. The only way I can describe it is a faint hint of something similar to antifreeze. I can't help but remember the jugs of RV antifreeze that were in the skimmer buckets when I opened the pool for the first time. The lines were properly winterized and obviously some of that antifreeze went in my pool from the lines when I opened. Could I possibly be still smelling it? It's an extremely faint aroma but that's all that comes to mind when I smell it.

What do your pools smell like? Anyone else who has to completely winterize in a colder climate have a similar take?

I'm glad you posted this because I experienced the same thing and I used anti-freeze this past winter. For several weeks after opening, I could get just a faint whiff of that sweet anti-freeze smell. I didn't smell it last year. (And yes, I used pool/RV anti-freeze!) I did vacuum most of the anti-freeze to waste upon opening, but I think a gallon or 2 made it into the pool. I was told that shouldn't be a concern. FWIW, the pool guy I spoke to about closing said he would have used 12 gallons of anti-freeze to close a pool my size. I used 6 and thought that was overly generous. Glad I didn't take his advice!

The smell has faded quite a bit but is still barely there. I'm sure I am the only one who can smell it...I might be part bloodhound.

I don't use antifreeze because I have an above ground pool but I just told my husband the other day that our pool smells so good. I wouldn't say it's a chlorine smell but it's a nice and clean smell. :cool: Then he said, I'm so glad you take such good care of the pool! :mrgreen:

At least you know it's appreciated. That's worth it!

I'm glad you posted this because I experienced the same thing and I used anti-freeze this past winter. For several weeks after opening, I could get just a faint whiff of that sweet anti-freeze smell. I didn't smell it last year. (And yes, I used pool/RV anti-freeze!) I did vacuum most of the anti-freeze to waste upon opening, but I think a gallon or 2 made it into the pool. I was told that shouldn't be a concern. FWIW, the pool guy I spoke to about closing said he would have used 12 gallons of anti-freeze to close a pool my size. I used 6 and thought that was overly generous. Glad I didn't take his advice!

The smell has faded quite a bit but is still barely there. I'm sure I am the only one who can smell it...I might be part bloodhound.

Me too! I bark occasionally as well but that's after a few whiskeys. Good to hear someone else has at least had the same experience. I imagine maybe in a few weeks I won't smell anything at all.

We always joke that our pool is like swimming in bottled water. No funny smells, crystal clear, soft on the skin.

I like that analogy. Maybe it should be on every preppers doomsday plan to have a TFP balanced pool for a monstrous emergency supply of drinking water. Sometimes I think our pool water might be more pleasant to drink than city water!

Maybe it should be on every preppers doomsday plan to have a TFP balanced pool for a monstrous emergency supply of drinking water. Sometimes I think our pool water might be more pleasant to drink than city water!
See the thread Pool water safe to drink in emergencies?. It would be better to use water from your hot water heater, if available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.