Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: That TFPC Clean Pool Smell

1. Back To Top    #1

That TFPC Clean Pool Smell

Until owning my own pool this year, I had only swam in other people's pools (probably poorly maintained) and commercial pools. They all had a typically pungent aroma of chlorine, those dreaded combined chlorines. Now that I have a well balanced pool of my own, I've taken to... taking in it's smell. When I'm in the pool, I get a slight hint of that chlorine/bleach smell but almost nothing. When patrolling my pool deck with the skimmer net for rogue maple seeds and doomed insects I smell almost nothing. Almost. The only way I can describe it is a faint hint of something similar to antifreeze. I can't help but remember the jugs of RV antifreeze that were in the skimmer buckets when I opened the pool for the first time. The lines were properly winterized and obviously some of that antifreeze went in my pool from the lines when I opened. Could I possibly be still smelling it? It's an extremely faint aroma but that's all that comes to mind when I smell it.

What do your pools smell like? Anyone else who has to completely winterize in a colder climate have a similar take?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: That TFPC Clean Pool Smell

I don't use antifreeze because I have an above ground pool but I just told my husband the other day that our pool smells so good. I wouldn't say it's a chlorine smell but it's a nice and clean smell. Then he said, I'm so glad you take such good care of the pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Until owning my own pool this year, I had only swam in other people's pools (probably poorly maintained) and commercial pools. They all had a typically pungent aroma of chlorine, those dreaded combined chlorines. Now that I have a well balanced pool of my own, I've taken to... taking in it's smell. When I'm in the pool, I get a slight hint of that chlorine/bleach smell but almost nothing. When patrolling my pool deck with the skimmer net for rogue maple seeds and doomed insects I smell almost nothing. Almost. The only way I can describe it is a faint hint of something similar to antifreeze. I can't help but remember the jugs of RV antifreeze that were in the skimmer buckets when I opened the pool for the first time. The lines were properly winterized and obviously some of that antifreeze went in my pool from the lines when I opened. Could I possibly be still smelling it? It's an extremely faint aroma but that's all that comes to mind when I smell it.

What do your pools smell like? Anyone else who has to completely winterize in a colder climate have a similar take?
    I'm glad you posted this because I experienced the same thing and I used anti-freeze this past winter. For several weeks after opening, I could get just a faint whiff of that sweet anti-freeze smell. I didn't smell it last year. (And yes, I used pool/RV anti-freeze!) I did vacuum most of the anti-freeze to waste upon opening, but I think a gallon or 2 made it into the pool. I was told that shouldn't be a concern. FWIW, the pool guy I spoke to about closing said he would have used 12 gallons of anti-freeze to close a pool my size. I used 6 and thought that was overly generous. Glad I didn't take his advice!

The smell has faded quite a bit but is still barely there. I'm sure I am the only one who can smell it...I might be part bloodhound.
    18' x 41' IG w/vinyl liner. 30000 Gallons. 78" x 78" poolside spa
    1.5 hp Hayward pump - sand filter & Tiger Shark QC robot
    Compool CP3800 Control Panel
    TF-100 kit
    Built in 2002. "Inherited" w/House in 2012. Located in Pittsburgh

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup, you can hardly notice any smell of chlorine on your when you come out. And when in the pool, I can't smell anything. Love it!
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

We always joke that our pool is like swimming in bottled water. No funny smells, crystal clear, soft on the skin.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I don't use antifreeze because I have an above ground pool but I just told my husband the other day that our pool smells so good. I wouldn't say it's a chlorine smell but it's a nice and clean smell. Then he said, I'm so glad you take such good care of the pool!
    At least you know it's appreciated. That's worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by brian4110 View Post
    I'm glad you posted this because I experienced the same thing and I used anti-freeze this past winter. For several weeks after opening, I could get just a faint whiff of that sweet anti-freeze smell. I didn't smell it last year. (And yes, I used pool/RV anti-freeze!) I did vacuum most of the anti-freeze to waste upon opening, but I think a gallon or 2 made it into the pool. I was told that shouldn't be a concern. FWIW, the pool guy I spoke to about closing said he would have used 12 gallons of anti-freeze to close a pool my size. I used 6 and thought that was overly generous. Glad I didn't take his advice!

The smell has faded quite a bit but is still barely there. I'm sure I am the only one who can smell it...I might be part bloodhound.
    Me too! I bark occasionally as well but that's after a few whiskeys. Good to hear someone else has at least had the same experience. I imagine maybe in a few weeks I won't smell anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58 View Post
    We always joke that our pool is like swimming in bottled water. No funny smells, crystal clear, soft on the skin.
    I like that analogy. Maybe it should be on every preppers doomsday plan to have a TFP balanced pool for a monstrous emergency supply of drinking water. Sometimes I think our pool water might be more pleasant to drink than city water!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Maybe it should be on every preppers doomsday plan to have a TFP balanced pool for a monstrous emergency supply of drinking water. Sometimes I think our pool water might be more pleasant to drink than city water!
    See the thread Pool water safe to drink in emergencies?. It would be better to use water from your hot water heater, if available.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"