Green pool- ready to give up!

Hello,

I am the frustrated owner of a 11 month old above ground pool.

Last year, I maintained the pool with little issues really only throwing a bag of shock in once a week or so and keeping a 3 inch chlorine tablet in the skimmer. I picked up these products at Walmart, and they were effective therefore never realized not all products are created equal!

This year we opened the pool to find a fairly green swamp. I shocked it over the course of a few days, using maybe 5 lbs of shock and it got clear very fast although it remained cloudy. I couldn't see the bottom at all. I took a sample to my local store and had water tested to discover that I needed 25 lbs of something for alkalinity. I did that while maintaining the chlorine tabs and it literally turned green in one hot day.

My kids insisted on swimming despite the green and told me there was sand in the bottom, lots. But it wasn't slippery. (Lack of algae on the floor?) I called the pool company I purchased the pool from and they said it sounded like a lateral broke. Repair man came, fixed it under warranty and said I had no sand in the filter which would explain why it got green so fast, I guess. He also added that my motor sounded like it was working too hard and that he would put in an order for that. My light is also out and he would be back with that. (Irrelevant to pool chem but just to show what a nightmare this has been). Additionally, my gauge is broken. We are pending repairs of all of these things. It does appear that the filter is working despite the inability to monitor the gauge. Ughhhh

The varying yellowish-green, green, and now dark- green has not let up now in 3 weeks even since the lateral was repaired. In the past two weeks I've added approximately 18 lbs of shock, 2gallons of bleach, used 25 or so 3 inch (broken up) chlorine tablets and continue to keep one in the skimmer at all times.

I've gotten in (yuck) and blindly vacuumed to waste three times and feel no more than a few specks of sand here and there.

A trip to the pool store yesterday, again, where I bought "good" shock, 3 lbs, floc, and a test which reveals the following:

FC: 0
TC: 0 (!!!!)
PH: 7.9
TA: 89
CH: (would that be total hardness? If so, 116)
CYA: 68

Also,
Green algae: no
Swampy: no
Black algae: no
Mustard algae: no
(Are those test results or just q&a? Seems like I do have green algae if it's green)

Ok, so I've learned WAY more than I thought I would need to know but feel like I know nothing at all.

I have test strips but they are just about useless so I've relied on free testing from the store. From reading for 2 hours tonight on here I gather it's very important to have a reliable kit at home.

I added three pounds of shock last night and two more 3 inch tablets. Flocked it this morning while running the filter for two hours then turning off. It gave instructions to put it on recirculation but I don't have that setting.

Please help! I would be forever grateful! I'm ready to just drain and start over or give up completely. I've dumped $300 dollars into it in one month and have only a green pool to show for it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You need a reliable test kit which you can read about here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison. The TF100XL is going to be the best value for you as you are going to need extra reagents to test during your SLAM.

Please read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry to get started.

STOP using the pucks as your CYA is already very high! Order the TF100 and do not do anything until you have it! Once you get it, post your test results and we can get started on a plan of action which will more than likely include a partial drain and refill. If you want to feel productive, go to WalMart and stock up on unscented bleach. :goodjob:

Hi Melissa,
well you've certainly had a hard time.
Us folks here a TFPC really do not put much faith (edit- any faith) in the pool store testing nor the advice they give. Its just crazy what all they sell a person that dont work.. because literally they dont know what they are talking about. You might as well be playing pin the tail on the donkey and hope you get lucky.

The TFP method works, and is way less expensive than the pool store ****.

Congrats on taking the initiative of getting your own VERY reliable and excellent test kit.
Once it arrives, you will need to SLAM your pool to get rid of the algae and get it back to more clear and sparkly that it has ever been.
While waiting on your test kit, take a little time and read how to SLAM the pool.... This will be very valuable knowledge when you get started.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

as a FYI, the SLAM is not a magic cure or potion that ends with the number 9. It is a process that will take several or more days. So dont freak out if magic doesnt happen right before your very eyes, like the pool store would have you believe.

When your kit arrives, post up a full set of test results for us to have a look at and we will go from there...
In the meantime, relax, you are in good and knowledgeable hands now.

Melissa,

To add what the above posters have said, click on the big button in the upper right corner labled Pool School. Read every thread in there, and then read them again. It is a lot of information to take in and I am sure all of us have read that section multiple times and learn something new each time.

DO NOT get discouraged!!! This is an awesome group of people willing and able to make you a pool master within a couple of weeks. You made the mistake ALL of us made, thinking the pool store was the place to go for answers. Look through some of the threads, see how crystal clear most of our pools are, and know that yours will sparkle like that in short order.

Glenn

You will be in much better shape Melissa! We all just use unscented bleach. Whether you want to buy Austin's, Clorox or Great Value from WalMart, it's pretty much the same. Just check the percentage on it to see if it's 6% or 8.25%. You will be very satisfied with the TF100 test kit. No one has ever regretted it. I hope you can get your pump sorted out soon. Once you have it all set, you can start SLAMing Your Pool. You just keep reading and learning and asking questions and we'll have you set in no time and helping newbies along too! :cool:

Just got my test kit in the mail today!
Pool installers came and replaced motor and gauge under warranty. Motor was "loud" according to them when they replaced the lateral last week so I opted to have it replaced under warranty while I could.
Will post results tonight when I can make sense of this kit lol
Eek!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOW! That is some dark water! We have definitely seen worse though!

Yeah, I imagine it does seem overwhelming. It will just take time and maintaining Chlorine at SLAM level.
a.k.a. shock level for your chlorine.

There is a handy little tool called Pool Math that you will be needing to play with. Here is a link to it. If you have any questions about how to use it, then just ask.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Welcome to TFP

Another great thread to subscribe to.

You are not alone here Melissa. You will need to learn a bit and then need some POP (Pool Owner Patience). But folks here will help.

Melissa, The best thing you could have done is found this website and the great people on it. Follow the advice and I am confident that you will have your pool looking great! Please don't get discouraged. There is a lot of information to take in, but take it step by step. Congratulations on buying your own test kit. You will find it to be your best and most reliable friend to your pool. Also, pay close attention on how to get an accurate CYA reading. This is most important. Pool school will give you all the information and knowledge that you will need. Of course, you have a bunch of friends to help on your way! Welcome to TFP! You are in great hands.

You all are so helpful, it's much appreciated!
Here are my results:
FC: .5
PH: 8.2
TA: 100ppm
CH: 775ppm
CYA: 20ppm
Bromine: less than 1

I've looked at pool chemistry and have a basic understanding, I think, and I've plugged all of the numbers into the calculator and it tells me I need 89 oz of 8.25% bleach to get target FC of 4. Either I don't understand this fully or haven't grasped the SLAM process yet. I added two jugs of bleach, shock, pucks, and algaecide with no change before I found this site. So surely one jug won't do it.

So, I know my CYA is low which tells me I'm not holding onto chlorine, right?

Please guide me to the right link! I'm confused : (

Wait. You need to lower your PH first. You can use muratic acid to do that (use pool math). A reading of 8.2 could actually be much much higher.

CH looks really high but I'll wait on another expert to comment on that with an agp.

Since your PH is reading at 8.2, it could be much higher. You want that in the 7.2 range BEFORE you proceed to slam with bleach.

haven't grasped the SLAM process yet
Yeah, that's the issue....no worries, though

As AimeeH says, lower your pH down into the mid 7's before you start the SLAM.

Then read the SLAM article and follow every single word of it to a T. The "M" stands for maintain so you must remember this is a process.....not just a dose of Clorox and your pool is fixed.

Disregard your CH for now.

Your SLAM value for chlorine is about 12 ppm....remember to maintain it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.