Spa tripping breaker

dozer11

Jun 2, 2014
Thompson, ND
I drained my spa and turned it off. What I didn't know was that it automatically turned itself on after 30 minutes. It ran in cycles all night with very little water in the spa. Now the breaker trips immediately. I disconnected the different systems and it seems it may be the circ pump or the heater causing it. What could be ruined by running a spa without water?

Sounds like there may be some damage to the pump. As pumps age, more mechanical resistance develops in the motor and wet end. Running them dry will rapidly accelerate that process. As that mechanical resistance increases, more amperage is needed to run the pump at its designated RPM. That increased amperage draw is what is tripping your breaker. My spa does this occasionally when for instance both pumps are on high and the heater is trying hard to warm the water = maximum amperage draw. It could also be the heater but the timing points to possible pump issues.

Have you been able to disconnect the heater or turn it all the way down / off so you can see if turning only the motor on trips the circuit breaker ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.