I think I have an algae bloom - I'm finally SLAMing

Re: I think I have an algae bloom

Good advice. I've been squeezing the sock and keeping my pump running. I was fortunate enough to be able to work from home today so I got a few extra squeezes in. I'm not sure I'm going to get my wife to do that :eek:

If you want to move it along a bit faster you just need to kneel down and play with the bag some. Squeeze the "white" out of it and then pull the sides of the sock while underwater to suck in more water and squeeze and repeat. I can get a couple pounds to dissolve in about five minutes that way, if you have the patience :cool:

I'm going to SLAM my pool today. While my water has been crystal clear for over a month I have not been able to maintain my FC level. As the temperature has picked up I'm losing 1-2 ppm per day. I brought it up to 3.5 last night and it tested at 1.2 this morning. I've been running my SWG at 100% for over a week but I'm still losing FC at an alarming rate.

So I stocked up on 12 gallons of 10% and bought a fresh bottle of the Taylor DPD powder. I understand that I need to run my pump 24/7 during this process. Do I need to turn my SWG off during the SLAM process?

Thanks.

From the SLAM article: "The SWG, tablet dispenser, injection pump, or Liquidator can be very helpful in the follow up stages to maintain FC at shock level, but for the initial couple of chlorine applications, you need to use another chlorine source."

Myself? If I had a SWG, I'd leave it on. It should decrease the amount of bleach needed overall, and slow down the drops between additions which should speed things along. Just be sure to shut it off when you're ready for the OCLT.

Thanks Richard,

I did read that article and I recall that comment. I thought I had read somewhere else that I should turn off the SWG. I can't find that post so I may have imagined it. Maybe my mind has merged the OCLT instructions into the SLAM instructions :)

You didn't imagine it, it's out there and I've advised people to shut it off during SLAM as I've read it too.

BUT . . . if Richard says he'd leave his on, I'd go with his recommendation as that is going to change mine. :angel:

Update on the SLAM

Put in around 7 gallons of 10% yesterday around 1:00 PM. With my CYA my target FC is 20 so I followed Pool Math for that FC level. Unfortunately I could not test an hour later to see if I hit my target. Tested last night around 8:30 and FC was back down to 11. Followed Pool Math and added more 10%. Tested this morning around 6:00 and FC was 15. So I added more. I won't be able to test and add more chlorine until tonight around 6:00 or so.

I'm running the pump constantly (except for about 2 hours very early this AM because my egg timer wasn't set right on my pump station :oops:). I'm keeping my SWG on per Richard's sage advice. Hopefully I will see less FC decline today than I did yesterday. That would be a sign that I'm killing whatever is in there, right?

Water continues to look crystal clear. There was maybe one leaf in the pool this morning so my son is doing a good job of keeping the vegetation out. I've also got him scrubbing the sides of the pool every day.

"That would be a sign that I'm killing whatever is in there, right?"

That would be correct. Keep trying to maintain that 20ppm as best you can. The more you can keep it there the faster it goes and the less total bleach you'll go through.

I am making progress. :whoot: I only lost 2ppm FC overnight compared to 9 the night before. I added more chlorine this morning to get it back up to 20.

I haven't trained my wife on water testing and I'm not able to work from home today so I won't be able to test the water until I get home tonight. I'm sure I'll lose more FC during the day today. Would it be a good idea to have my wife pour a gallon of chlorine in early this afternoon? It took about 3 quarts this morning to move it from 18 to 20 so I'm thinking that a gallon isn't going to put me past 20 but will help me maintain something close to 20 throughout the day.

Also, I realize that it isn't hard to test the water but we've got 4 kids and they are going in 3 different directions this week with sports and camps so that's just not an option for me. :)

You should be OK with the gallon. Or ... if you think she'll remember break it up into two, 2 Qt additions.

If you need to go a little over (21-22) to keep from going too far under that's doable too. You do what you gotta do with testing, life (kids) sometimes gets in the way ! :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My wife was only able to find an opportunity to add chlorine once yesterday so I got 2 quarts in during the day yesterday. FC was 18 last night. So I added chlorine to get back to 20.

This morning I tested and FC was 22!!! So I assume that was because my SWG ran all night and I've killed whatever has been consuming my chlorine. So I added nothing this morning and will perform the OCLT tonight. I'm running low on reagent so I need to pick some up at Leslies on my way home. If any good has come out of my wife's trip to Leslie's at the start of this ordeal it is that I have a $5 coupon to use.

Anyway, here's my question. I know I need to turn my SWG off tonight. Do I run the pump all night? The SLAM instructions say to run the pump throughout the SLAM process but the OCLT instructions don't address whether the pump should be on or off. Thanks.

Well I didn't pass the OCLT last night. I was at my target FC, 20, yesterday morning. My wife added a couple of quarts of bleach during the day and my SWG ran all day at 100%. I was at 20 ppm when I tested last night so I was encouraged. I adjusted my SWG down to 0% and continued running the pump. This morning FC measured at 15. So I added more bleach this morning to get it back to 20 and put the SWG back at 100%. I asked my wife to add two more quarts mid-day to try to keep it at target throughout the day.

I'm a little discouraged. This is my 6th day. I know from reading the SLAM instructions and discussions that it can take some time. Since I didn't start with a green pool I thought I'd be done by now. It will be a cool day in the Dallas area today so maybe I'll stay at target throughout the day and will pass the test tomorrow morning.

Keep at it, if you get behind now all will be wasted. The OCLT tells the truth that the pool water still has organics in it and they will expand if you do not kill it all off. Don't be fooled by how the water looks. I'm not surprised it is taking this long.

Target the FC a little higher than the recommended level as the recommended level is the minimum level to keep the FC at. If you want to maintain 20ppm, I would add enough for 24ppm so the FC will hopefully stay at 20+.

Have you scrubbed or checked the underside of you ladders steps ?? Do you have a built in light and have you pulled it and cleaned out it's niche ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.