Best way to fix a pvc pipe leak

Oct 31, 2013
Let me first start off by saying I know I should just replace the piping. However this is the piece attached to my hayward multiport valve and to replace it I would have to replace the whole valve along with several pipes that were glued into it. I tried the method of adding extra pvc cement to the joint. That worked for about a year. I tried it again this year and it's just not going to cut it. I was going to remove the glue around the joint and start fresh but looking for the best method. Thanks in advance.

As you have discovered, PVC cement won't cut it for a repair like that. PVC joints are made by solvent welding the two parts together. The cement used softens the material and allows both sides to "melt together. Once the solvents evaporate, the joint re-hardens. The "glue" itself has no structural strength and thus won't last long. Sand the area at the crack/leak and apply some JB weld as mentioned. Properly applied that will outlast the part it is on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.