Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to fix a pvc pipe leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to fix a pvc pipe leak

Let me first start off by saying I know I should just replace the piping. However this is the piece attached to my hayward multiport valve and to replace it I would have to replace the whole valve along with several pipes that were glued into it. I tried the method of adding extra pvc cement to the joint. That worked for about a year. I tried it again this year and it's just not going to cut it. I was going to remove the glue around the joint and start fresh but looking for the best method. Thanks in advance.
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to fix a pvc pipe leak

Got a picture? A lot of pool plumbing is dual-sized. You might be able to stick the bigger connector on the outside and then us a reducer to bring it back down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

sp710x62-bi-01.158.jpg

This is the valve unit. It's the side straight piece that's leaking. Not at the o ring but at where it goes into the valve body.
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I was hoping a picture in place.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

It connects to a sand filter. I don't know what you're hoping to see.
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by headrec View Post
    It connects to a sand filter. I don't know what you're hoping to see.
    I dunno, maybe an arrow or something showing which piece is actually leaking? If it's what I think, maybe some epoxy putty.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_23533-138-31...ductId=3132883

7. Back To Top    #7

a.jpg

Sorry my bad, thought the text I posted was enough. Here is the pic. Obviously red arrow is the leak.
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I would try jb weld epoxy.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

As you have discovered, PVC cement won't cut it for a repair like that. PVC joints are made by solvent welding the two parts together. The cement used softens the material and allows both sides to "melt together. Once the solvents evaporate, the joint re-hardens. The "glue" itself has no structural strength and thus won't last long. Sand the area at the crack/leak and apply some JB weld as mentioned. Properly applied that will outlast the part it is on.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

I totally forgot about jb weld. Love that stuff. Just picked some up and will be trying that tonight. Thanks!
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump