New quartz finish problems

Lee3

Jun 5, 2014
Longwood florida
Hi all, we just had our pool refinished with sunstone quartz, after a few weeks we had a lot of dark staining, the company came back to look at it and suggested adding 5 gallons of muratic acid every week for 3 weeks and continue brushing, after doing this it was better but we continued to add 3 gallons a week for a further 3 weeks and still brushing daily, it looks fine now but I'm noticing white clouding while brushing and the surface feels rough and loose to touch, also the chemistry is way off, does anyone know if this could be damaging the new surface? Or any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

I am not as familiar with these finishes as some are but I would URGE you to continue on as the company instructs to protect the warranty and someone with more experience will be along to help you.

Can you please post a full set of test results? If you do not have a reliable test kit, I would suggest the TF100. You can do a comparison here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison.

Hi all, we just had our pool refinished with sunstone quartz, after a few weeks we had a lot of dark staining, the company came back to look at it and suggested adding 5 gallons of muratic acid every week for 3 weeks and continue brushing, after doing this it was better but we continued to add 3 gallons a week for a further 3 weeks and still brushing daily, it looks fine now but I'm noticing white clouding while brushing and the surface feels rough and loose to touch, also the chemistry is way off, does anyone know if this could be damaging the new surface? Or any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks

Welcome Lee! :wave:

Stop everything where it is. Do not add more acid right now. Sorry, but I have more questions than answers, and we need the answers to help you.

What do you mean the chems are way off, what are you testing for, and what are you using for results?

How big is this pool?

Please post some numbers, particularly pH.

Based on what you say about the finish becoming rough and loose, you could be destroying, or damaging it severely.

Welcome Lee! :wave:

Stop everything where it is. Do not add more acid right now. Sorry, but I have more questions than answers, and we need the answers to help you.

What do you mean the chems are way off, what are you testing for, and what are you using for results?

How big is this pool?

Please post some numbers, particularly pH.

Based on what you say about the finish becoming rough and loose, you could be destroying, or damaging it severely.

Ok so the pool is 22000 gallons and I have attached our last 2 read outs from local pool companies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 109
The pH of 6.8 and 0.0 of TA is wrong. Your pH is lower, and I would not trust those people advising you at all. Notice the one test doesn't even say the number. If you want to know, I strongly suggest testing this yourself, but know that the common pH test with phenol red will not go below 6.8.

5 Gal of MA a week is A LOT of MA. I've used 5 gals on my new sunstone quartz finish over 1 month. (new plaster will undoubtedly raise the pH of the water, also the pH of my fill water is >8.2).

I strongly suggest you order a proper test kit like the Taylor 2006, or the one most here use the "TF100" from www.tftestkits.net. Your pH is crazy low, I guarantee that. Yes that absolutely can/will damage the plaster finish. That white dust is plaster which has dissolved in the acid bath that is your pool.

I don't know what the actual cause of the dark stains was....but you've got bigger fish to fry at this point.

I would call the company back out.

Sounds like a no drain acid wash. They are trying to burn the first layer of plaster off to hide their mistakes. I would get in touch with the manufacturers rep and have them out to look. Sounds like the plasterer owes you a redo. User OnBalance here knows more about plaster than anyone I have ever met. Also do a google search for OnBalance plaster, their website and industry studies should come up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even if they are, I think this has gone beyond that. This is going beyond weeks now! Even hot starts don't take that long.

My other main point is that the test results are wrong.

You cannot have a 6.8 pH at a 0.0 TA. It simply isn't possible. Anyone giving those results and not explaining should not be trusted.

Hey guys, firstly thanks for all your help I really appreciate it! I had the guy ( plasterer) come over yesterday and he was telling me it's all fine now and to get the chemistry back to normal, so I'm going to do that first. I'm also going to call the rep for the plaster company and get some advise from them too. Thanks again guys!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great!

Did he tell you what to do? Not to hound you, but this won't be possible to do correctly without a good test kit. You can get the best value for the dollar and the best customer service at TFtest kits. Yes I am biased, but you cannot beat the value of this kit anywhere I am aware of. Let us know if you need any help, and thanks for the feedback. Wishing you the best of luck with everything.

I would still follow up with the manufacturer. That procedure does not sound right. Entirely possible that it shaved a few years off the life of your finish or voided the manufacturers warranty on the materials.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.