Blue and cloudy,what should we fix first?

dizzle

Jun 1, 2014
Minneapolis
we just started testing at home now and got our kit so we don't know what to adjust first and why or even what are the standards. Right now our pool blue but cloudy and can barely see the top of the last step(which it is a serious improvement since the pool sat for two year in forclosure, it is no longer green at least)

Chlorine
.5 FC
1.5 CC

CH 150 ppm
Alkalinity 300
PH 7.5

CYA im still trying to figure this test out I think it was 30? but last week we had pool store test our total dissolved solids and it was 1200. We have recently drained pool 25% and refilled with fresh water.

What should we adjust first? chlorine, or alkalinity or adjust ph to go a bit lower? How much of each do I add?

I am very new here and don't know much but I suggest the SLAM process. Read about it in Pool School. Use liquid chlorine shock or bleach. Check the Chlorine/CYA chart to know how much to put in and use Pool Math to figure your specific amounts.

I had trouble with the CYA test also today. You can pour the sample you used back in to the bottle and try the test again with the same sample. It is good for a few minutes according to someone who responded to me today. Do it a few times and see what you get. Watch the video for testing CYA also. It is helpful. Someone reminded me of holding the sample at your waist with the sun behind you.

Hope that helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.