Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump quit

1. Back To Top    #1

South Texas

Pool pump quit

Hello! A couple days ago when I went to turn my pump on low to backwash it sparked by the switch. I ordered a new toggle switch but the pump still won't come on. Anything else I can check or did that spark blow the motor? If the pump is blown, do you have a suggestion for a replacement? I know I want 2 speeds but what HP do I need? This one is 1.5 HP and not sure if I should get the same, more, or less. My pool and filter info is in my signature. And where can I get one for a good price? Thank you so much for the wealth of advice y'all provide!!!
    30'x54" AGP..22000 gals.
    -Millennium 22" sand filter
    -Waterway 1.5 hp SPL 2-speed pump.
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Pool pump quit

a 1 HP 2 speed should be good enough. Try a google search.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

western NY

Re: Pool pump quit

A spark would prompt me to check for a tripped circuit breaker before I went and bought a new motor/pump. This is kind of like buying a new car because a headlight is out. A spark near the switch could have tripped a breaker or a GFCI. Check all of those first. If you have and know how to use a Volt/OHM meter, I would start checking for voltage at the motor and switch as well. As far a "blowing" a motor. I doubt it. Motors can take small overcurrent events for very short intervals without damage. If id did spark, I doubt there was any kind of significant overvoltage event.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump