Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New here and cant wait to start learning! Soon to be above ground owner!

1. Back To Top    #1

New here and cant wait to start learning! Soon to be above ground owner!

Hello all!

With the heat fast approaching in Northern California, My GF and I are looking at a about ground Pro-Series 16x48 (on sale for $300!) as a investment for this summer. Even if it lasts a few years, awesome LOL!

Kind of excited as its our first purchase together, I plan on taking out some of my lawn, leveling and capping sprinklers then make a border of rock or mulch with some plants around the pool. My grandfather had a in-ground and he was def a pool man, he raised me so I must learn as he recently passed away

Thank you for a great site and glad I was linked to here

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New here and cant wait to start learning! Soon to be above ground owner!

Welcome to TFP slammed
    Stick around, read some of hte pool school and some of the posts....

post pics and keep us informed when you start working on it!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Usually like a weekend job? I have a local yard I can get sand from. Builder or play/coarse sand work?

My area currently

16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome. You are going to need to read some Pool School. I'll add some reading material for you...

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    Test Kit Comparison
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Why thank you for the links =)

16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

So short run down:
    1. Remove sod
    2. Use say a 10' 2x4 (for 16' pool) with level taped on
    3.Remove high side until even
    4. Set pavers on ground and fill with sand, recheck levelness paver to paver and from center
    5.Wet sand so it settles
    6. Lay tarp (or foam then tarp
    7. Put up pool

#4. Do I set pavers on ground and make area surrounding paver with sand or bury in ground.

Can I use my outside power plug on back of house on patio if GFCI? It's about 20 ft from the pool

16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Plan to spend waaaaay too long getting the surface ready. Stockpile Motrin and beer before you start.

Here's a couple really good threads you should read.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ing-27-AG-Pool
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ling-my-ground

If you scroll through the construction and above ground forums, look for long and or starred and or intriguing threads. See what others have done that works, and what others have done that were terrible ideas. That's the beauty of this forum: you don't have to make every mistake yourself!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Is there another "above ground " section? Yes, bud light yum! I've been reading since yesterday afternoon and gas me even more eager. Never thought I'd wanna rip up lawn so bad.... Must study first!

16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Water is flowing!,
    16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

On my first intex, I ran a 25 foot extension cord to pump, it was hooked up to GFCI electrical box. I did use a heavy duty 12 gauge 3 prong cord. If it was the "right" or "proper" thing to do..... I don't know? But, I didn't have any problems for two years with it.
    21' x 54" AGP Heritage 12,000 gallons.
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix SP15922S 2 Speed 1 HP
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T 24"
    My SLAM Another swamp, is it worth it? Drain or gain?

11. Back To Top    #11

well its filled and up! Now for chemicals ekkkk! First TF-100 test wasnt bad, I was scared when I opened it and felt overwhelmed LOL!

FC -2 (4 drops)

CC- 0.5

Total Chlorine- 2.5

CH- It turned blue right after adding the R-0010 (maybe due to water softener?)

TA- 90 (9 drops it took)

CYA- 0 (filled the whole tube and can still see the black dot, no chem in pool!)
    16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

OKay....So..Bought a Intex Ultra Frame 26' x 52" pool. (15000 gallons) The filter that comes with these pools just can't keep up. Want to upgrade to a sand filter, but don't want to buy something either too small or too large. Suggestions please.....I also have a Salt water system by Intex...HELP !!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd search, do u have the Hayward skimmer ? If not do it asap
    16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't think there is such a thing as too large a filter. The bigger the filter, the less backwashing or cleaning cartridges needed.

Just my 2 cents. Go with the biggest you can afford.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

15. Back To Top    #15

Well I'm 1" out of level and one pool leg was getting close to the edge of a paver after filling. I added a extra paver to the outside and will fix at the end of the season most likely. Rope isn't tight on the leg so that's positive!
    16x48 Intex Ultra
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit