Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hardwire 220V Stenner...anybody do it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hardwire 220V Stenner...anybody do it?

Got a hold of a 220VAC Stenner to pair with P1353ME timer, 220VAC at equipment pad.

Figr'd the Stenner would come w/ no cord, like pump or heater so imagine my surprise when it came with a NEMA 6-15 cord on it. Alas, a few choices I guess:

1. Cut receptacle plug off end of Stenner cord, wire to timer circuit 3.
    2. Install applicable female receptacle wired to timer to plug Stenner into; receptacle by timer.

Choice #1 obviously voids Stenner warranty, choice number #2 involves extra work/cord & not nicely sealed away contained in weather tight conduit.

What to do, what to do? Anyone else have a similar situation and, if so, how resolved? Can Stenner be taken apart and cord completely removed for direct wiring? Not sure, haven't started poking around yet...
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hardwire 220V Stenner...anybody do it?

I doubt that cutting the plug off of the cord would void the warranty. That being said, I would just install the receptacle for the convenience.
    East Atlanta OTP
    20,000? gal IG, 18x36 3'-6'-4' sport bottom,
    Originally built in 1992, 11 year old vinyl liner,
    1Hp Pentair 1speed w/ Nautilus FNS 48 DE
    Polaris 380 (named Larry), Well water

3. Back To Top    #3

I cut the end of the cord off when I did my installed. That worked well, but now I wish I had gone with an outlet. These days I bring the Stenner indoors for the winter, which would be a little simpler if there was an outlet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hardwire 220V Stenner...anybody do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Cap Sideways View Post
    I doubt that cutting the plug off of the cord would void the warranty.
    There is a thread here where someone was denied warranty coverage because the plug was cut off. A Stenner representative also posted to that thread confirming that cutting off the cord voids the warranty. Do a search for "Stenner pump woes" to find it.

EDIT: Here's a link

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...nner-Pump-woes
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

5. Back To Top    #5

You could add an outlet box with a 220V plug, and pigtail it to the timer outlet with the pump on it, so the stenner runs when the pump runs, you will always have mixing that way.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    You could add an outlet box with a 220V plug, and pigtail it to the timer outlet with the pump on it, so the stenner runs when the pump runs, you will always have mixing that way.
    I'm leaning in that direction; the timer has 3 relays/circuits on it; 1 & 2 for lo/hi pump speed and 3 for ostensibly a cleaner booster pump with a pre-programmed mode for #3 not running when 1 or 2 not energized, which is where I'll hook up the stenner. I guess instead of wiring the stenner directly to circuit 3 of the timer, I'll just put a 220 outlet box between them. Will allow for easier removal of Stenner in off season...just really not thrilled about having 220 receptacle open to elements, even when stenner plugged in.

Simple wiring the receptacle, just an added step that was unforseen.
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I put an outlet box with 220 plug for my stenner. Don't cut the plug, it does void the warranty.

I'll post a pictures once I get the kiddo down for her nap...
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit