Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Here!

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Here!

Hello All! I've read a bit about getting chems right here, I struggled and subsequently gave up last year, just got the pool filled today, and refuse to give it up this year! I've been reading that instead of using raw chlorine, i can use household bleach is this correct? I'm excited to learn what i need to do, and look forward to getting the knowledge that this site is sure to have! Thanks in advance, and if you have any tips or other suggestions, I'm an open book!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Newbie Here!

Welcome to TFP.

There is no reason to give up! Please read Test Kit Comparison. You are going to need a good reliable test kit. It is the biggest tool in managing your pool and giving it what it needs, when it needs it! Your best option is the TF100 XL. It is the best test kit for the money as you will be getting more reagents than the K2006.

Now that we have that out of the way, you're going to need to find a comfy chair, a drink and whatever else comes to mind and read
    Pool School, namely ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

If you have any questions after ordering your kit and starting on the ABC's, ask because we're here to help you clear your pool and make it as trouble free as you want it to be! You just have to want to learn the way!

What kind of pool do you have? You can add it to your signature with your pump specs in the settings.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Newbie Here!

Welcome to the Matrix

Raw Chlorine and Household bleach are exactly the same stuff, just different concentrations. Most overpriced pool chemicals are chemically identical to stuff you can buy at the grocery store, hardware store, or warehouse club for to the price. But the labels and packaging aren't as pretty.

Add this to your assigned reading list:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!