Another first time TF-100 user with startup / SLAM questions...

Jul 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Hi all,

As mentioned and as some of you may know, I'm switching over from 3" tabs and testing strips over to liquid chlorine (via Stenner pump) and testing with the TF-100.

Here are my first results:

CYA 0
CH 75
TA 60
PH 7.5
CL 0

Notes: I'm using 30,000 gallon as my pool volume as I'm going by memory on the amount of water and don't want to overshoot goals. When I locate the pool blueprints I'll know for sure. The cover is coming off the pool tomorrow morn. It appears I have algae on the walls but I'm not sure about the rest of the water.

Questions:

I'm planning to start the pump tomorrow. If the water is very green I'll run without the DE filter grid in place (at first). I will put the CYA in a couple socks and put one in both skimmers to distribute. The calculator is suggesting 120 oz / 7.5 pounds, for a starting goal of 30. Should I do nothing else until the CYA level is at 30? BTW, I'm using granules.

I will add liquid chlorine to get to shock level. I'm using 8.25% Walmart bleach for this exercise. However, I also have 6 pound of Aqua Chem Shock Plus. Can I use this first, then the 8.25% bleach...or should I just stick with one product?

The calculator also calls for me to add 822 ounces of calcium chloride to reach a goal of 260. Can that be right? 51 pounds? Holy ....

Finally, calculator specifies the addition of 282 ounces of baking soda to reach the goal of 100. Do I add this and the calcium chloride AFTER the SLAM is complete?

If anyone sees anything else I might be missing please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

All you numbers look right, you can go ahead and start the SLAM process once you have the CYA starting to dissolve, just use the numbers from the Chorine / CYA table assuming it is at your target level. Yes you can go ahead and start off with that Aqua Chem Shock plus, but be aware it is dichlor so each pound will add about 2.2 ppm FC and 2 ppm of CYA to your pool. (so not a big change with only 1 pound)

Ike

p.s. it often takes a lot of calcium chloride to get CH in line, that is why it is sold by the bucket, I would retest though after you get the water mixed before adding

All you numbers look right, you can go ahead and start the SLAM process once you have the CYA starting to dissolve, just use the numbers from the Chorine / CYA table assuming it is at your target level. Yes you can go ahead and start off with that Aqua Chem Shock plus, but be aware it is dichlor so each pound will add about 2.2 ppm FC and 2 ppm of CYA to your pool. (so not a big change with only 1 pound)

Ike

p.s. it often takes a lot of calcium chloride to get CH in line, that is why it is sold by the bucket, I would retest though after you get the water mixed before adding

Does the 51 pounds look right? Also, should I add the CH and Baking soda while I'm SLAMing?

Thanks again.

Hi again,

I got the cover off yesterday and started the pump up with no filter (for now). Wanted to get the water circulating. Water was green.

Based on the initial readings I started with 1.75 lbs of CYA in each skimmer (2 skimmers = total 3.5 lbs) using the sock method. I ran for several hours until most of the granules were dissolved.

At around midnight (last night) I broadcast 6 bags (6 lbs) of the Aqua Chem Shock Plus.

I just did a chem test (9:30 AM) and this is what I have:

CYA 50
CH 250
TA 160
PH 8.2
CL 5 10

Seems unusual that my CH went higher without adding calcium. Perhaps because the initial test was done in water that had not been circulated all winter. ??

In any case, how do I get a more accurate chlorine level? The two column test seems very general.

BTW, the water is quite a bit clearer today. Something's happening.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Hi again,

I got the cover off yesterday and started the pump up with no filter (for now). Wanted to get the water circulating. Water was green.

Based on the initial readings I started with 1.75 lbs of CYA in each skimmer (2 skimmers = total 3.5 lbs) using the sock method. I ran for several hours until most of the granules were dissolved.

At around midnight (last night) I broadcast 6 bags (6 lbs) of the Aqua Chem Shock Plus.

I just did a chem test (9:30 AM) and this is what I have:

CYA 50
CH 250
TA 160
PH 8.2
CL 5 10

Seems unusual that my CH went higher without adding calcium. Perhaps because the initial test was done in water that had not been circulated all winter. ??

In any case, how do I get a more accurate chlorine level? The two column test seems very general.

BTW, the water is quite a bit clearer today. Something's happening.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

My bad...just did the FC and CC test. Here are the totals...

CYA 50
CH 250
TA 160
PH 8.2
FC 5ppm
CC 0
All righty, then! Is that a solid cover, or could there be leaves and junk lurking on the floor? Vacuum blindly if you must, just get any organic stuff out of there.

pH needs to come down some with acid. It may well be above 8.2, since that's as high as the kit measures. So plug 8.2 in as now and 7.2 as target and dose accordingly. After half an hour of circulation assisted by brushing to mix, recheck it. If you're anywhere in the mid-7's, hit it with bleach. If you're still high, repeat the calculations and dose it again. When pH is in range, move on to the next step. Then ignore everything but FC & CC until the water is cleared up.

Target 20 FC for 50 CYA. And then it's just the SLAM routine. Test, dose, brush, vacuum, watch the pressure and backwash as needed, repeat. And take pictures!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.