What now?

Skip the baking soda for now, and maybe the borax, many people never need either one, but need acid instead. Also you will need to add some stabilizer. With a small seasonal pool like you have, this can either be done by buying stabilizer, and adding a measured amount, or buy buying stabilized chlorine, for your size pool I would suggest a 1 pound bag powdered dichlor, over a couple of weeks, starting with about 3 table spoons on day one then switch to 1 or 2 table spoons per day as determined by your testing (week one target 2-3 ppm FC, after that target 4-5 ppm FC), then switch to using bleach.

Ike

made correction above assuming you have the 12x30 metal frame, I initially used the numbers for a 12x30 easy set which holds less water

You can test the water before you add bleach, if you start off with bleach you will want to add a measured amount of CYA stabilizer to get to a target level of 40 ppm which would be 9.2 ounces by weight of pure CYA powdered stabilizer. Alternatively you could follow the method I outlined above using 1 pound of dichlor stabilized chlorine as a alternative to the bleach for the first couple of weeks until it runs out. In your size pool 1 pound of dichlor will raise your CYA to about 36 ppm, and raise your chlorine by about 40 ppm, hence the reason to add it a little at a time and let the sunlight burn off the chlorine.

Ike

Hi
So I have the :
-houshold bleach,
-and I also have Super Shock Quick 20
-and Kem-Tek and Kem-Tek All In One Chlorinating Granules are 99% Sodium Dichloro-s- Triazinetrione-Dihydrate
-Kem-Tek Chlorinating Tablets 1-Inch with the float dispenser.

So After I fill the pool, run the filter for 6 hs, test the water and the I must add the bleach or you think is better to shock with the kem tek product?

Thank you for your pattience.

You can test the water before you add bleach, if you start off with bleach you will want to add a measured amount of CYA stabilizer to get to a target level of 40 ppm which would be 9.2 ounces by weight of pure CYA powdered stabilizer. Alternatively you could follow the method I outlined above using 1 pound of dichlor stabilized chlorine as a alternative to the bleach for the first couple of weeks until it runs out. In your size pool 1 pound of dichlor will raise your CYA to about 36 ppm, and raise your chlorine by about 40 ppm, hence the reason to add it a little at a time and let the sunlight burn off the chlorine.

Ike

Since you already have it on hand, I would use the dichlor then switch to bleach method using the " Kem-Tek and Kem-Tek All In One Chlorinating Granules are 99% Sodium Dichloro-s- Triazinetrione-Dihydrate" assuming you have a kitchen or postage scale that you could weigh out 18 ounces (if you are going to get the TF-100), then slowly add that over a couple of weeks give or take while maintaining your desired FC level, this would raise your CYA to an even 40 ppm, this would give you a target FC level to maintain of 5 ppm, and a minimum FC of 3 ppm. If you are going to try to manage with the HTH kit, I would probably suggest 16 ounces of Dichlor which would give you a CYA level of 35 ppm, and a target FC of 4.5 ppm, since I think the color comparitor on the HTH kit only goes up to 4.5 ppm.

You should be aware though that Dichlor is acidic and will have some effect on your pH for the first couple of weeks while you are using it, this may require the addition or Borax or Washing Soda to increase the pH, but this does depend on your local conditions, personally I prefer Washing Soda to Borax for pH adjustment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.