Is it ok to leave the solar cover on for days at a time

jimmerz

Jun 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Is it ok to leave the solar cover on for days at a time if not swimming much? I am still checking my chlorine and running my filter and all looks good but I have not removed the cover in several days. My wife was nervous and said we will grow algea, I told her as long as the chemistry was ok and the filter ran enough to remove whatever we should be fine.

It is fine to leave it on and you wont grow algae as long as you maintain appropriate FC level (algae needs sunlight so in theory the cover might actually help prevent algae). I keep mine on for extended periods and the only issue I ever have is the water getting too warm. I have heard that you can get measurable combined chlorine since the sunlight isn't breaking them down, but I have never experienced this.

You may find it a bit cloudy as the skimmer does have a hard time working well with the cover on. If you're having a party and require it to be clean, I'd suggest pulling the cover off every now and then for the skimmer to work well.

I am thinking about putting my solar cover on over about 80% of my pool and leaving the skimmer exposed so water can circulate well. Has anyone ever tried this?

I think Leebo's comment may be misleading. The cover doesn't put any extra strain on the pump and the water is still circulating under the cover just fine.

The skimmer takes in debris floating on the surface of the water, so with the cover on the skimmer has a "hard time working well" in the sense that all the debris that would have fallen in the pool is now sitting on the cover.

Remember that, depending on how you remove the cover, much of that debris will end up falling in the pool. I use a cover roller, so when I remove the cover all that stuff falls in the pool. There is also some debris that gets in around the edges. If the cover has been on for more than a day or two I will run the cleaner once the cover is off, which also has the effect of allowing the skimmer to clean up the surface.

I have found that my pool gets algae with the cover on for more than 2 days, even while being dosed with chlorine. The floor gets slick and when it gets brushed, it will plume a green/yellow dust. Individual mileage may vary... my pool doesn't like to be covered 24/7.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.