Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new pool owner and lost is the only way to put it...

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new pool owner and lost is the only way to put it...

Ok, here is my issue and I am hoping someone can help me out. Just bought a house that came with an above ground pool. Its a 24" wide pool. Not sure on the depth yet because it has had a big tarp nailed over it. We tore the tarp off yesterday and the liner seems to be ok. It looks fine and it holding water. There is pretty much about a 3 foot deep frog infested swamp in it right now. We have bought an Intex crystal clear sand pump filter and an Intex clearwater saltwater system for it. The research I did seemed to show that they would work with our pool. I am still curious to whether or not that is true as well. But I want to know if I should drain the pool and start from scratch or would it be cost effective to just try to "shock" the water that in it? I really have no clue. I would be super appreciative if someone could just kinda give me a good tutorial on what I should do to get this thing to where we could actually swim in it. So I am going to open this up for the pool gurus and hopefully someone can give us some advice. Thank you so much in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Brand new pool owner and lost is the only way to put it...

Step 1 order a quality test kit, see my signature for the TF-100 link

Step 2, while you wait on the test kit spend some time reading the pool school link in the upper right of this page, pay particular attention to the clearing a swamp article

Step 3, depending on test results, probably follow the SLAM procedure in pool school
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mexico, MO

What he said^^^^^^
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Central Minnesota

What they said.

Also look at your equipment and Pool tools. Skimmer net? Leaf rake? Brush? Physically clearing the bottom of the pool before even starting with chemicals can be a big help. Not to mention wildlife.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons