Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello (New Member)

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello (New Member)

Hello. My name is DrS and I have a rather large in/out ground pool in NC. I do a lot of my own maint. but do get stumped from time to time. I look forward over the summer to getting tips an tricks from the experts here.

My next "adventure" will be changing out the base of one of my Pentair 520 filter systems which developed a crack. I will post a different thread about the repair / replacement. Later I plan to change out the salt systems and lastly i expect some good advice on how to program the control units.

Thanks in advance!

(Here is a photo of the pool!)IMG_0275.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello (New Member)

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! One of the nicest pools I have seen on here. You came to the right place for knowledge and help. One of the best forums I have been a member of!!
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!

4. Back To Top    #4

What a wonderful view you have
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Beautiful pool! Welcome to TFP
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It must suck to have to look at that everyday. Beautiful pool and stunning view!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow! very nice! It certainly does look "rather large" ! How big is that georgeous beast?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, you can have a robotic cleaner and not be a lazy so-and-so in my book.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Okay, you can have a robotic cleaner and not be a lazy so-and-so in my book.

That's beautiful! Welcome!
    NE Louisiana
    25k gallon IG 16x30 vinyl liner pool
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP
    Intermatic timer, ~8hr/day
    Sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

WOW WOW WOW!!! What a beautiful pool and view!

When can we come over?

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Hello and thank you for all the kind words.

To answer a few questions,

The pool is just shy of Jr Olympic size or about 75 meters.
    We started it in 2003 and it was 95% finished by late 2005.
    I say 95% because the company building it went belly up and it was never fully completed on the mechanical end.
    It holds about 250,000 gals.
    I do the majority of my own maintenance but some things are just beyond my skill or need two people.
    Due to my inexperience during the design phase, we were sold a few items we never needed or never worked. Like the "in floor" cleaning system.
    Below the negative edge is a hot tub!

A few more pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

yeah. More than a few of us have had the wool pulled over our eyes too. Every single time I look at a couple of things on my pool, it burns me up!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrS View Post
    Hello and thank you for all the kind words.
    Due to my inexperience during the design phase, we were sold a few items we never needed or never worked. Like the "in floor" cleaning system.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

13. Back To Top    #13

Sounds nice, I see you have an old Dacor Luxfer scuba tank there, and just wanted to make sure you are aware of the Sustained load cracking problem that effects many of the Luxfer tanks from that era, making them bombs waiting to happen, http://www.luxfercylinders.com/suppo...aluminum-alloy

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

Sharp eyes Ike!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    Sharp eyes Ike!

Seriously good eyes. But I found this part of the link interesting:

"Out of more than 40 million cylinders, no Luxfer cylinder made from L6X (6061) alloy has ever exhibited a sustained-load crack."

But rest assured that tank will be deadlined till i get it looked at. (Odd my scuba dealer has not mentioned that issue to me.)

16. Back To Top    #16

Check out the date code on the tank. It may be a later tank in which case it is 6061 - which doesn't have the issues. If your shop is willing to fill it - it's highly doubtful its a 6351 tank, fill techs are crazy paranoid about those exploding.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Just have to ask. From looking at the hot tub and the wall behind it does it act as a waterfall from the pool above ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Just have to ask. From looking at the hot tub and the wall behind it does it act as a waterfall from the pool above ??
    Yes! The pool over flows (negative edge) to a beach entry "moat" that is around 3/4 of the hot tub.
    Last edited by DrS; 06-07-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling Grrr..!

19. Back To Top    #19

Wow! How high is the wall? It is beautiful!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Ok, it's official I hate you !!

That must just be amazing and likely more so in the evening if you have it lighted correctly and from how everything else looks I'm sure you do.

Is it separate from the pool or do you "overfill" the pool for the waterfall effect ?? You really need to post a photo of the falls !!
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast