Advice for new SWG System

Jun 5, 2014
Wading River, NY
Back in March I signed up, and paid for, a deal that was too good to be true which included a SWG and variable speed pump for all of $1300 installed. Turns out, it was, and after the company put off my installation three times, and I later discovered the products were cheap Chinese knockoff's of Hayward products, I got my money back.

Now that I'm slightly more knowledgeable and a lot more guarded, I'm shopping out options for a salt water generator. In the last three days I've been to five different pool companies. All five have recommended different companies. All five have given me the line that they "only sell this unit because the others are junk." All five have had different prices ranging from $1100 to $3500 installed.

Here are the particulars about my pool:
1- I'm on Long Island and we keep the pool open from mid May to late September
2- The pool is in full sun almost all day
3- It is about 32000 gallons

From what I've read and been told, I'm starting to lean toward an AutoPilot system. However it's mid to high range in price. My question is, is there really a system that's head and shoulders above the rest, and what size system should I be looking for? By that I mean, a 35k system, a 40k+ system? I'm fairly lost here!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We recommend sizing a SWG 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. You have a big pool, so that is going to limit your options. Hayward's largest and very common SWG is only 40k which is likely too small for you unless you are going to run your pump all day (not recommended). So, you should be looking for something in the 60k+ area which is going to limit your selection.

Hayward is a nice solid mid-range SWG, other companies have more bells and whistles that may or may not be worth added cost. But, you may have to be looking at the higher end units just to get one properly sized.

How much is your electricity? A VS pump may not make sense vs. a simple 2-speed pump unless your power is expensive.

Ill answer the electricity question for him, since I live on long island too. Its 2nd or 3rd highest in the country, so a vs will pay for itself in one season. Btw op, pseg is offering $400 rebate on energy star vs pump. It only cost me $150 extra than a regular pump. I have the autopilot system, but its only been running for 2 days, so I cant comment on that.

Wow, thanks for responding so quickly! Suzook is correct our electricity is absurd and getting worse. I'm also shopping out solar, but that's a different topic. If it came down to getting either a SWG or a pump, I'm pretty sure the pump would save the most the fastest. I may have to start a separate thread for the pump, which is a similar issue with everyone recommending different sizes and prices.

As for the SWG, from what jblizzle said AutoPilot does have systems that would work. I was quoted $2300 installed with 800 lbs of salt included. I'd probably be overpaying for salt, but at this point I'm most concerned with finding the right unit for the long term.

A SWG will not save any money, they are for convenience. There are other companies that have larger SWGs like i think the AP does (but not positive).

That much salt should be under $100.

A SWG will not save any money, they are for convenience. There are other companies that have larger SWGs like i think the AP does (but not positive).

That much salt should be under $100.

Thanks. We asked how much it would be without salt because we know we can get it at Walmart for about $5/bag, but they said it would only knock off about $100. It's worth it to me, if that's the case, to save my car's suspension and not transport 800 lbs of salt on my own.

So from what I gather, whatever system I settle on, I should be looking for something at least 1.5x the size of the pool, and at least two brands have been mentioned. Now that I'm a little more knowledgeable, I'm willing to pay for the proper system. I tried to go the cheap way and I'm sure it would have been a disaster. One more question, are most systems hard wired, or do they just plug in? I'm wondering if I can install this myself.

Thanks. We asked how much it would be without salt because we know we can get it at Walmart for about $5/bag, but they said it would only knock off about $100. It's worth it to me, if that's the case, to save my car's suspension and not transport 800 lbs of salt on my own.

So from what I gather, whatever system I settle on, I should be looking for something at least 1.5x the size of the pool, and at least two brands have been mentioned. Now that I'm a little more knowledgeable, I'm willing to pay for the proper system. I tried to go the cheap way and I'm sure it would have been a disaster. One more question, are most systems hard wired, or do they just plug in? I'm wondering if I can install this myself.
If your handy, you could do it yourself. A little wiring work, and dont forget the pvc work.

Some companies will not honor the warranty if you install it yourself. Usually you will get a 3 year warranty if installed professionally, 90 days if you install it yourself. Something to consider. Companies vary with the warranty, I've seen one in particular offer a 5 year warranty but that's just out here, Heliocol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
These guys offer a 60k gal unit. 5 year warranty on both the cell and the power supply. No acid needed to clean the cell.

I've installed a few and they seem to be a great unit.

sgschlorinators.com

Last edited by a moderator:
That no-acid claim is pretty weak. With the switching polarity that most SWG have now, I think the scaling is a lower concern. I guess the reason they are making that claim is that you can take the plates out of the housing and then can scrape any scaling off.

That no-acid claim is pretty weak. With the switching polarity that most SWG have now, I think the scaling is a lower concern. I guess the reason they are making that claim is that you can take the plates out of the housing and then can scrape any scaling off.

I had my doubts when I first heard about it, but it works well. I'm not sure about Tucson, but in the Phoenix valley scaling salt cells are a major headache, even with switched polarity.

They can function with a high salt level (they claim no upper limit), and the cleaning of the cell with a wood paint stick is as easy as promoted.

The owner of SGS gave me a tour of their manufacturing facility in Tempe, and I was very impressed.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.