sequestrant after AA treatment

I had a stain in my pool, thought it was algae, did a shock treatment, had blue green water for 3 days, when it cleared up, turns out it was a stain that then spread to the whole bottom of my pool........
came to this sight for research before proceeding with anything else (after using this site to do the baquacil to bleach conversion a few years ago, no problems since)
Did the vitamin C test, postive, followed the directions for getting the pool ready for the the AA treatment, did the treatment last night, perfect pool this afternoon!! I am not sure how much of the sequestrant I am to put in now to keep from restaining, the monthly dose, or an initial treatment followed by monthly doses. Thanks in advance!!

18' by 52" above ground vinyl lining pool.

Did mine Sat. Stain was all over the pool but lifted immediately after the AA. Put in sequesturant Mon now my pool is so cloudy, ya can't see the bottom. Running filter 24/7, keeping FC at 3 ph at 7.2. Expecting it to clear within a few days. Was advised let filter run then maybe tomorrow I will turn it off let water calm overnight and vacuum all the white residue off the bottom.

Did your staining lift gradually, or was it noticeable immediately? I did my treatment this morning and was more than a little disappointed to not find a big change 4 hours later.

Started with one pound AA, (about 7 pm last night) some of it started to come off right away, grand-daughter had a good time throwing vitamin c tabs in so then I could see what color it should be, then after an hour it hadn't changed much more, added another pound of the AA, and then put a bottle of vitamin c tablets in the floater that the pucks go in and let it float around all night also, this morning still some stains showing, but by noon it was perfect except two small spots have been there for a couple years.....don't expect those to lift anytime soon. So give it some time, I may not have needed the 2nd pound of AA, but was impatient......

- - - Updated - - -

Did your staining lift gradually, or was it noticeable immediately? I did my treatment this morning and was more than a little disappointed to not find a big change 4 hours later.

also, I did not brush at all either........

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!

Start with an initial treatment dose, and then follow up with regular maintenance doses as described on the sequestrant packaging.

thanks, the directions did not say how much to put in to start, didn't want to do more than needed. Love this site, will be back to do a lot of research when we are ready to patch the rusty spot on the pool wall where the return dripped all winter :( I am sure husband can fix it, he can fix anything!! The wall is only 5 years old, and already have a liner to use if the old one will not go back up, since we need to patch all the way down to the rail.......

I'm just starting to rebalance after my AA treatment. I too was very impatient. Waiting 24 hours there was a big difference but I also added a lot more sequestrant. After adding 5lbs of AA to the pool I added 2Q of ProTeam Metal Magic. Then thought since stains were old and dark I should add more. Per the instructions 1Q per 10K gal or if stains were bad do 1Q per 5K gal so I added 2 more Q. After having no more AA I added about 500 vitamin C tablets then another 1Q of ProTeam. (Total 5Q)

Overall 95% of stains are gone or much lighter. If I had it I would have added another 3-5lbs of acid to get rid of everything. Not sure if adding the extra ProTeam or the time was the most beneficial but I'd rather err on the side of too much ProTeam rather than have stains start to reappear when raising pH and adding bleach.

And your water didn't turn cloudy? Mine was beautiful after the AA and before the sequesturant. So afraid to take the chlorine and ph any higher. I'm afraid the stains will reappear. I did order 5 lbs of AA. Hoping I don't need it. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used Sparkle Conquest which is suppose to be pretty good. Still cloudy. It left powdery substance all n the pool. I'm having to vacumn and backwash every day. Slight improvement but disappointed after a week. It was crystal clear til I used it.

I'll get that or Jacks magic for my monthy follow up...glad your turned out well. I can at least see the bottom of the deep in but water still looks cloudy. Small amount of residue left that I'm hoping will just filter out. I don't think I can take another day of vacuuming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.