In the market for a new cleaner

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
Currently have a very old Polaris 380 and it sucks.. I am just tried of dealing with and want to move on. Any suggestions? I found a Pentair LL505G Kreepy Krauly Legend local, 2 months old, for $200. Thoughts?

Yes I do.

Shell out some bucks and get a Dolphin robot. It will be the best thing you ever did equipment wise.

I've been debating throwing out my vac hose, but figure I'll keep it just incase. :mrgreen:

I second that opinion, get a robot. They work independently of the filter, suck up everything, and require very little maintenance. They just plain work. There are downsides to the robots though. One is that they are beaucoup bucks. Second is, that some of them still have bags that you need to clean out, a job that is easier and quicker than it seems, but that I still dread. For the first 10 seasons we had a solid type winter cover, held down with water bags. I NEVER used the manual vacuum for those first 10 years. Then I made a mistake, and got a mesh loop loc cover. I now open every year to a swamp. So I haul out the manual vacuum and send all those nasties to waste. That type of a cleanup is not the forte of a robotic cleaner. Good luck.

Tom

I just replaced my Polaris 360 with a Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820. It is a rebranded Dolphin Nautilus. It is around $50 more (after $100 rebate) than the Nautilus but it comes with a a caddy and 2 year warranty vs the 1 year on the Nautilus. I was also looking at the Prowler 830 (Dolphin Triton) but I couldn't justify the additional $200 for a remote, quick clean (floor only) and weekly schedule functions.

I just got it earlier this week and ran it once. I am happy with the results and was amazed by how brown the cartridges were after the cleaning. The cartridges are a lot easier to clean vs a bag.

I feel the same way brush pup does about my dolphin m4 bot purchased last season. I no don't know how I managed without it :) For me, it was totally worth the investment.

It's filter cartridges are a snap to clean. A few seconds now and then and that's it.

Lol...my pool has a terrace of trees over its west side, a giant maple to the south beside it, and a few acres of woods all around ;)

We use a two-prong approach. On the southwest corner, we use a PoolSkim that attaches to the return. That captures an amazing amount of the leaf and flower debris before it sinks.

The dolphin supreme does an excellent job of getting the rest. It has a "spring clean up" basket you can use instead of the finer meshed cartrdge sides and in our case we use this year round. We've seriously never seen it leave a single scrap of anything on the pool floor. Much more thorough than yours truly with a vacuum wand :)

We were about to replace our 380 not long ago. I took it to the shop for a checkup where they suggested hose replacement and a few bearings. Runs great now. I had so many spare parts I just hayed to change brands. I tend to buy sponge tips and wheels in multiples when I find online for a good price.

Also, we found the pressure disk was missing totally.

Ok.. I am not going to give up on the 380 just yet.. I picked up some additional swivels.. their was only one on there and I plan to ad 3-4 more to see if that helps. Will also look into the tuneup

When you finally get tired of fussing with your Polaris get a Dolphin M4. Get the real thing from a dealer with the 3 year warranty, not a house branded variant, so you know what you're getting.
You won't regret it. The thing just works as advertised.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.