Replacement pump suggestion for ancient

Jun 27, 2010
Portland/OR
Hi,

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time. I've managed to fix most of my problems by searching Pool School and the forums. I think this is my first post.

I'd like to replace my old and weary Pentair IG pool pump, it has a 1 HP, 3450RPM single speed Emerson motor. It has a leak at the pressure side connection and when trying to fix it I noticed that the threads were cross threaded. This pump is probably 20 years old and I only know it's a pentair because my local pool shop identified it from a picture. I've owned this pump/pool for the last 4 years and despite fixing annual leaks and being loud it's worked pretty well. It's given me pretty good flow from my returns with and without my solar heating system on.

Now, I think that the pump has other problems. I can't get my pressure below 32 PSI even when I'm running in recirculate. I've already checked all my suction side connections and pump basket for leaks and lubed/replaced my O-rings, in my intake union ball valves. I'm pretty sure the problem is the pump itself.

My plan is to replace the pump with another single speed 1 HP pump and replace my 1 1/2" union valves ( the handle is cracked on one) for the skimmer and drain. My plumbing is all 1 1/2", the skimmer is about 20' from the pump, drain is about 50' away, and the pump is only about 6" above my water level. Additional details on my pool is in my signature.

I'd like a pump that has easily obtainable replacement parts and has a reputation for being reliable and easy to service.
I've been thinking of the Hayward Superpump max rated single speed, which I can get on Amazon for $339 including free shipping.

I'm not sure how to figure out whether this would work or not, and would appreciate some feedback from someone who better understands how to size a pump. Would this do the job?

-Thanks in advance for your help

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 46
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I would recommend a 2-speed pump. A 1HP Superpump should be adequate if you say it is running the solar well.
I would also suggest replacing any of your plumbing on the pad you are changing to 2" to lower the head loss through all the fittings.

You can save a lot of money on electricity by running on low speed when the solar is not needed.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I would recommend a 2-speed pump. A 1HP Superpump should be adequate if you say it is running the solar well.
I would also suggest replacing any of your plumbing on the pad you are changing to 2" to lower the head loss through all the fittings.

You can save a lot of money on electricity by running on low speed when the solar is not needed.

Do 2 speed pumps require wiring a new switch or timer to change between speeds or is there a switch on the pump itself? Would I manually turn the pump to the low setting and turn off solar when my pool was heated up?

Is is a good idea to just change to 2" pipe on the suction side or would I want to do on the pressure side too between the new pump and the filter?

Thanks for you suggestions!!!

Many come with the switch installed on the pump (I know the Pentair Superflo does) which allow you to manually control the speed. If you are manually turning on and off the solar, then you would just also switch speeds.

Some solar controllers and all automation systems will automatically switch speeds for you when solar is automatically turned on and off. I would recommend a controller if you do not have one, it makes the heating much more efficient since it will not be running in cloudy/cooler weather when it may cool the water.

I would change any pipe/fittings you are replacing to 2" on both sides of the pump.

I went with the Pentair 1HP superflow 2 speed. I finished installing it last night and it's working much better than my old pump already. I'm finally getting flow out of all my returns and my solar seems to be working much better. Wiring the pump was challenging. The wiring diagram on the side of the pump was unreadable and I ended up wiring it for single speed operation. Today I contacted Pentair and they sent me a readable wiring diagram, that should allow me to wire the built in toggle switch to use low speed. I'm hoping that I can use my solar heating panels on low speed, but I doubt it.
My pressure is still high, but I'm going to get a new pressure gauge installed before i get working on that.
I hoped to go with 2" pipe but I couldn't find the 1 1/2 - 2" converter fittings that I needed.

Glad it is working. I am not sure what you mean by "pressure is high". There is not right or wrong pressure. It is what it is. Start with a clean pressure and write it down. Then clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above the clean pressure.

I am not sure how you could not find 1.5"/2" bushings. Every hardware store has them.

I would not recommend running the solar on low. You will certainly not be able to prime the panels on low and it may not keep the VRV closed either. Plus, the heating is more efficient on high speed anyway.

If you would have asked, we could have told you how to wire it for 2 speed. One LINE to terminal 1, the other LINE to the black wire in the center of the switch. And the white and yellow wires from the switch to the other 2 terminals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.