Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Logic low salt level, salt level is 3200-34-- but display reading 2600

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Logic low salt level, salt level is 3200-34-- but display reading 2600

I have been deep into my aqua logic salt system. My cell (Turbo 15) is clean and is 2 years old and I have taken to pool store twice to have tested and passed both times. I know I have around 3,200-3,400 salt in the water but readings are 2,200-2,700 most of the time. I can trick system by clicking on diag button each day and pushing plus and then minus and get reading up to 2,900 most of the time, then I save that setting and all is fine, until the next day, and it says low salt again. My thinking is I could get actual salt level up high enough that the board would finally ready 3,000 or so and keep running on its own, but not having much success with this.
    I am thinking either my cell is bad or there is another part that reads the salt level other than cell? Just dont want to replace cell and find out I have same issue again. I have cleaned cell over and over and filters are clean.
    I called Hayward, no help, I have asked every pool store I can find, no help, and no pool guy seems to know anything. Somebody has to be a wizard on this system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Logic low salt level, salt level is 3200-34-- but display reading 2600

Welcome to TFP!!!

Add more salt and make the SWG happy. My drop salt test reads around 3800ppm, while my new SWG reads around 3200ppm. I seem to always have a good bit of difference between my test and the SWG reading. If you think the cell is good, then just raise the salt.

Although if it turns out you need a new cell, you may have to replace the water to lower the salt level if it is too high for the SWG.

Do you know anyone else with the system? I took my cell to someone elses house when my test did not agree. It matched the readings their cell gave and my test read their pool higher as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the welcome and info. That was my thinking too it its just every morning I go to turn on the pool and the readings are even lower then 2,600, sometimes into the 1800 level. Then I do the diag +- and get it to read decent enough to hit save, but it may not even last the day sometimes and the orange light is back on and not chlorinating. I wish I did know somebody to swap out cell to see.
    I will add another bag of salt tonight and see if I can get it higher, but why would it keep changing the readings the next day I wonder? Do you know if there is a sensor other than cell?

4. Back To Top    #4

When was the last time you cleaned the cell?

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind. I see that you said you cleaned it. Sorry.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

How old is the cell? When a cell is wearing out it reads lower and lower salt levels even when the salt level doesn't actually change.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Reading down to 1800 and wildly changing that much seems like a problem that a little salt is not going to fix.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

The cell is only 2 years old. It seems to hold a decent reading once I do the diag +- for a day or so and then goes down. Every time I add a bag of salt I think its good and then it goes down again. is there another sensor for salt reading besides the cell?

8. Back To Top    #8

The salt reading is just a table look up based on the resistance the cell is sensing through the water and the temperature. There is not a "salt sensor".
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for everybody's help, I believe I have fixed it! I got a hold of a pool rep from Hayward and he told me something that might help others with same issues. When you clean the salt cell on a stand and the cord is at the top (because the stand makes it almost impossible to clean with cord on bottom) you are most likely missing 3 small pin head sensors that are at same end of cell from cord. These build up calcium even though your blades look fine. I used straight muradic acid (which again he said will not hurt cell, and is a myth that it would) let sit 15 minutes and my cell is now reading 3300!!!! I knew salt cell could not be bad, and the board was fine as well.

10. Back To Top    #10

WOW!!! Thanks for reporting this that is some great info that I have not heard before.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I just hope it helps others, this has been going on for months, but all day today steady readings, so hoping it continues!

12. Back To Top    #12

When you cleaned these sensors, did you do it by standing the cell in the stand with the cord up and filling it to the brim with acid, or is there a different method for ensuring those sensors are cleaned?
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by foreste1 View Post
    Thank you for everybody's help, I believe I have fixed it! I got a hold of a pool rep from Hayward and he told me something that might help others with same issues. When you clean the salt cell on a stand and the cord is at the top (because the stand makes it almost impossible to clean with cord on bottom) you are most likely missing 3 small pin head sensors that are at same end of cell from cord. These build up calcium even though your blades look fine. I used straight muradic acid (which again he said will not hurt cell, and is a myth that it would) let sit 15 minutes and my cell is now reading 3300!!!! I knew salt cell could not be bad, and the board was fine as well.
    Not sure this is entirely a myth. I think it's ok to do if you have massive caking but prolonged exposure to undiluted acid will corrode the plates. Anyone have any idea what the actual risk is here?
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

http://www.troublefreepool.com/detai...l?hilit=corpus

14. Back To Top    #14

Using diluted acid (say 4 water for each 1 acid) is both safer and just as effective for all but the heaviest calcium deposits. I've also been told by two different SWG engineers that acid will shorten cell lifetime, just not by very much. Certainly, cells that are constantly getting calcium scaling and being cleaned don't last as long. However, I can't personally confirm that is because of the acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi foreste1,

You wrote this "you are most likely missing 3 small pin head sensors". Can you post a picture?

Thanks

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi Turku,
    Welcome to TFP!

this thread has pretty much played itself out. Foreste1 also hasnt signed on to TFP since June 6...so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Turku999 View Post
    Hi foreste1,

You wrote this "you are most likely missing 3 small pin head sensors". Can you post a picture?

Thanks
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

17. Back To Top    #17

If the coating on the plates is intact, muriatic acid won't have any impact. Anything that scratches or otherwise damages the coating can negatively impact cel life.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir