Pump really hot...

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
since my last pool was 100% intex, i am a bit new at having a Hayward pump. It is normal for the body of it to be hot while its running? If you touch it, its pretty dang hot. the intex .95 hp 2650 I had on the old pool never got hot.... of course it was plastic too.... :p

the other thing I seem to notice. my electric bill has been up 5 bucks a day from normal since I got this pool with pump running 8 hours a day on low. :p

surely we have just had some other high usage going on elsewhere :scratch:......as I cant fathom this pump costing me $150 bucks a month to run 8 hours a day. the last one cost me about 30 bucks a month running 4 hours a day.

Pool pumps do get hot. They shouldn't get hot enough to burn you, but hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch is common enough (on high speed, low speed should be much cooler).

If you run the pump on high speed for 8 hours a day, I could easily see it costing $30-70/month (depending on your electrical rate). Running it on low speed however should be much less (one quarter as much for the same run time). We recommend running on low speed.

Is there any chance the pump is wired for a different voltage than it is designed to use? Getting that wrong could account for both the getting hot and the electrical cost.

Pool pumps do get hot. They shouldn't get hot enough to burn you, but hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch is common enough (on high speed, low speed should be much cooler).

If you run the pump on high speed for 8 hours a day, I could easily see it costing $30-70/month (depending on your electrical rate). Running it on low speed however should be much less (one quarter as much for the same run time). We recommend running on low speed.

Is there any chance the pump is wired for a different voltage than it is designed to use? Getting that wrong could account for both the getting hot and the electrical cost.

thanks Jason. the pump is 115v. And its currently plugged into a 50 ft extension cord. My electrician has been running behind on jobs and wont be out til monday. In fact.... I just got back inside from running the #8 romex in the 3/4 inch conduit he dropped off this morning so I can start back filling the pool and electrical trench. (let me tell you that was a LOT of fun.... my arms are killing me from pulling that heavy wire through there...:() I have the pump on a good quality 14 gauge cord, so it should be fine. Its not burning hot but it is hot like you stated.

I have yelled at my sons (10 and 11) 4 times today for "fanning the back door" in and out, in and out. thats probably whats driving my bill up. :brickwall:

I told them they are going to get summer jobs and pay me $1.00 for every time they entered or exited the house.... :p

Running a good sized pump on 115V using a long 14 AWG extension cord could easily result in a (too low) drop in voltage, and corresponding rise in current, resulting in a overheated motor. Good thing this is temporary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.