Will I know the right kind of DE to get at Lowe's?

May 31, 2014
Burlington, NC
Is there pool DE for filters at Lowe's or Home Depot? What kind of cost should I expect and in what quantities? I won't need much to add to my sand filter for SLAMing, right? Will I use it regularly? Backwash before or after adding DE while SLAMing?

Is there pool DE for filters at Lowe's or Home Depot? What kind of cost should I expect and in what quantities? I won't need much to add to my sand filter for SLAMing, right? Will I use it regularly? Backwash before or after adding DE while SLAMing?

I got mine at Orchard, but I'm sure other home and hardware stores have it too. It was pretty cheap.

You add it 1/4 cup at a time, checking filter pressure until you see a 1 psi rise. Then you just let it do its work to help the sand filter do a better job.

Whenever you backflush the filter it will all get washed away, so you will need to add more. I figure one box will last the rest of my life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.