Ground water problem pool (re-) install - What would you do?

May 13, 2009
Mn
I'm not going to drag on about what happened, but let's just say installing a pool on sand (the professionals did) does not work well in a wet and freezing climate.

Thanks to everyone here, I convinced my husband that we could do this install. Plenty of you have done it so we should be able to do it too.

We leveled all the blocks using a laser level and also had most of the dirt removed so the bottom rails would sit flush on the ground. I was waiting for the clay to dry more because it was too difficult to remove small amounts without a big chunk sticking to the shovel. Then the 4 inches of rain came. Fortunately we still had our winter cover and had put that over our setup to keep the clay from washing and shifting the blocks. Then more rain came and more is scheduled to come.

What I am wondering is how I can get the ground to dry up or if you would move forward with the setup knowing it is level, just sitting in water. The only part that would be in water is the bottom cuff and lowest part of the wall. The sand is high enough to keep the liner dry once we get going. We will be putting drain tile in but we have to get the pool up first. We are working in limited space.

Also, some of the clay was stuck to our shoes and "contaminated" the sand. Would you worry about it causing a problem with the liner? I thought we were going to get a gorilla pad so I wasn't very careful when we took it down, but DH doesn't want to spend the extra money. He says if we don't see any rocks it should be fine.

Thanks for any advice. We are so anxious to get the pool going again, but the rain is not helping. More rain is expected this weekend.

I would wait until the weather improved. I know that's hard to do but if you are tracking clumpy clay soil into and on the sand, you are just asking for trouble with the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.