Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Pool School!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Pool School!!!

The long and the short of it. Me and my wife just purchased a "flipped" new home that had a 20 ft above ground pool in it. The home had been abandoned for about 4 years and the realators had no idea of if the pool not only worked but if there was any additional equipment. After a brief hunt in the garage we were able to find a hayward 1.5 hp pump and a swim pro voyager cartridge filter. The pool had no cover on it and after years of neglect had a lot of leaves and debris in it (we donít know if someone pumped the water out or if evaportated but there was no 'sludge" in the pool). My wife having nothing better to do evidently decided to try to get this pool up and running and got everything removed except for a pretty thin layer of dirt. At the advice of the local pool company she started filling the pool up so that we could vacuum out the dirt. 2 days later We hooked everything up, made sure we were getting a strong return from the pump and the filter through the return jet and thought we were going to start the vacuum process. Unfortunately, we arent getting any type of suction when we put the vacuum plate on the skimmer. ) Im pretty confident we have the vacuum hooked up right we even went and purchased a new hose made sure it was primed by filling it up with the return jet etc but its no suction at the plate at all. Knowing that we havent even gotten to the chemical process of the pool we are a little confused as to what our options are now. Could there be a problem with the pump and filter (hence the reason it was left)? Also itís a few stains at the bottom of the liner and a definate leak so should we just abandon ship now?? PS. the water is clear we donít have any type of green or anything in it and it definitely seems like everything on the bottom is dirt.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Pool School!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Are you filling the vacuum hose with water by putting the end in front of the return before you connect to the skimmer?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes we are but there isn't even any type of suction without the hose attached... The weird thing is again a stong return on the jet and you can see a "tornado" like effect when the suction plate isn't attached

4. Back To Top    #4

Without the hose on it but the skimmer plate installed in the skimmer, do you see water being sucked in? Is there more than one skimmer? Water will find the easiest path, and a long corrugated twisty hose isn't as easy as a smooth short pipe.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

there is not more than one skimmer unfortunately ... the suction plate as an elbow piece on it which actually is around the same height as the water in the pool so its not really "being sucked in" ... and with it attached when i put my hand in front of it i dont feel any type of suction do we need to fill the pool up more right now its about 3/4 of the way into the skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm wondering if that is really a vacuum plate or if it is a diverter with a round inlet. Is there a flap underneath that plate that can slide over and block a hole?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

no there is not give me a few min and i will upload a pic for you of it

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum.
    After reading through the thread I was just going to ask for photos

You might want to add some pool info:
    Signature
    Please put the following information in your signature.
    1. The size of your pool in gallons
    2. If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    3. If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    4. The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
    5. If you know, please tell us the size pump in HP. Also mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    6. Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    7. Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?į too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!