Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward 1001ID

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward 1001ID

I recently inherited a Hayward 1001ID propane heater from an acquaintance who put it in his garage a few years back because "it didnt work". So now it's mine and I'm going to try to get it running, hopefully with the help of some nice folks here who know much more about these things than I do.

I've printed off the manual and parts list and got the water end of the plumbing done. I will do the gas shortly. For right now I'm basically doing a rough/temporary install just to see if I can get it working without dropping a bunch of money on it. If it works, I'll do it up right.

The first thing I notice is it is leaking from what I believe is the water pressure switch. Is there a way I can temporarily bypass that switch just for troubleshooting purposes?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hayward 1001ID

I will assume you mean 100ID heater. If so, the pressure switch is easily bypassed on these with a simple jumper wire. If it is indeed leaking you will need to replace it. These are fairly simple heaters in the way the circuitry works in them, so it should be easy to get it running.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, 100ID - my apologies for the error.

Is this switch threaded in, and if so is it a standard pipe thread? It's leaking pretty badly and if possible I'd like to put a pipe plug in there while I'm figuring out if this thing is worth the effort and expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Yes, threaded. Easy to remove. 1/8" NPT pipe plug to plug the hole. Please only do this for testing purposes. This is a critical safety feature for the heater.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, I understand that - this will only be a stopgap measure to see if this thing is worth saving. Thank you for your help thus far - more questions to come I'm sure.