Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I trust the pool store CYA reading?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I trust the pool store CYA reading?

Can I trust the pool store's CYA test reading better than my own? Mine have varied with Taylor K2006. Not sure why, probably user error. Of course, the 3 pool stores' readings varied also but not by as much as mine did. What is best to do?
    18,000 gallon IG vinyl
    Hayward S220T sand filter, replaced sand 2013
    Sta-Rite pump, 1HP?
    New liner, 5/12; pool built in 1981;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I trust the pool store CYA reading?

No, don't trust them. Once you have your water sample and reagent mixed you can pour it back and forth as many times as you need to get your reading. The pool store wants a quick reading and to sell you something.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Trust your own numbers. The average home owner doing the CYA test for the first time is better than the average pool store. While there are some good pool stores, as group they really are that bad.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, I'll keep trying. I got 30 yesterday on the first try and 45-50 this am early. Thought adding water yesterday evening affected it, but should have lowered it. 2nd suggestion I have had to pour sample back in and try again. I will do that next time I test it to be sure.
    18,000 gallon IG vinyl
    Hayward S220T sand filter, replaced sand 2013
    Sta-Rite pump, 1HP?
    New liner, 5/12; pool built in 1981;