FAS/DPD question

astronaut888

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2013
southeast
I have been maintaining my FC between 4 and 7
(20K gallons, CYA 50)

I add bleach at night after testing and shoot to raise to somewhere between 6 and 7 and have been steady seeing that FC has maintained nicely, not dropping below 4 even on sunny days.

My question is, are most here using the FAS/DPD test to test their chlorine when they test.
The other test (called the OTO, right?) simply tests a range of chlorine levels and I wouldn't be very confident trusting it to really tell me a FC level - so, I use the FAS/DPD every time - pretty much daily!

Is this a total waste or is this the way most do it around here?

thanks

I use the FAS-DPD exclusively for now. I tell myself that I may try the OTO once I'm confident I have a grasp on it all. But I hate the pH color match test...as I can't see slight changes in colors...so I probably won't use the OTO, and may buy a different pH test.

IIRC the OTO test is worthless over 5ppm. (I could be wrong, as like I said I don't use it)

It is about 50/50. I only use FAS-DPD weekly and when there are problems, and use OTO daily. Others prefer to use FAS-DPD daily.

OTO tells me if there is a problem or not very quickly. I have no need to know the specific FC level daily, as that is very predictable if you pay attention to the weekly numbers.

Daily I only test with the OTO since my FC range is 3-6. Typically in the evening it's 3 and since I'm fairly confident in my pool volume after getting used to it, I add enough to get me to 6 and don't bother testing after 30 minutes. I have and it's usually a little more "orangey" than the 5 so I'd say it's good. Weekly I do the FAS-DPD before and after and see if my additions are making sense and my bleach isn't under %/degraded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.