Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump made a very unfortunate sound this morning. Can I ignore that or pending doom?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump made a very unfortunate sound this morning. Can I ignore that or pending doom?

I went out this morning to turn on the pool pump and it made a very unfortunate sound. Kind of something like a muffled squeal followed by a whirring grinding sound. I shut the thing right off, opened the inline skimmer basket thing (which had water in it) and took out the grass and rolly polly bugs (pill bugs for those of you not familiar with the slang) that had accumulated - there wasn't much - and of course I turned it back on because turning stuff off and on is "fixing" it, right? Anyway, when I turned it back on it seemed fine. Everything seems to be running as normal. I know 0 about pumps. This is the pump that was attached to the pool when I bought the house last year. I am attaching pictures of it just in case there is something that would make a difference. I just found out that my daughter's drumline fees are going to be $1,000 for this year (after I agreed to sign her up for select basketball season) and it will involve a trip cross country and I will feel obligated to go as well, so if it is something that I can fix or ignore my bank account would be far happier for it. Thoughts?

~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump made a very unfortunate sound this morning. Can I ignore that or pending doo

I'm not sure but if turning it off and then on and it didn't make those awful sounds then I say... maybe you'll be ok! Let's how so!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Pump made a very unfortunate sound this morning. Can I ignore that or pending doo

As with all mechanical devices... From the first time you turn them on they are on their way to their impending doom. Everything from cars to cell phones start to degrade from the day they are put into service. As for your motor/pump, it is hard to say. I have one customer that has a pump that sounds like it is pumping marbles. It has done that for the last 5 years. She does not seem too concerned about it and said she will replace it when it gets bad (huh) and I had one on my pool that was a quiet as a mouse and quit after two years (go figure). Keep an eye(ear) on it and see how it acts. If it gets worse each time I would start looking for a replacement.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I would consider just wearing headphones and playing Whole Lotta Love while turning on the pump.
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I like the headphones idea! A lot! It ran just fine yesterday and I went out a bit ago to turn it on and it came on without a sound. Maybe it was just a one time thing. Hopefully. If not I suppose I will learn a whole lot about pumps. Hopefully I will learn how to fix one, not how to shop for one.

Thanks for helping to quell my fears. I swear I am bleeding money right now. Dang kids.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

Something may very well have found its way through the pump basket, and the sound you heard was the impeller choking it up to your filter. Sounds like you are going to be fine now.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58 View Post
    Something may very well have found its way through the pump basket, and the sound you heard was the impeller choking it up to your filter. Sounds like you are going to be fine now.
    Thanks! I am hoping you are right! Hopefully it all went through and I won't have any more problem.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster