First time pool owner in western KY

n240sxguy

May 17, 2014
Benton, KY
Hello all. I'm Michael. As the title says, I'm about to have a pool!!! We should be moving into our new place at the end of this month. I'll update my profile after I have all the details about the pool. It is an inground vinyl liner pool somewhere between 18X36 and 20X40. The first is what the owner said he thought it was, the second is what the PB said it was. They also said it had a pool frog system, and it has a SWG, so that's why I don't know if they have all the facts straight. Maybe the owner put the SWG on it after it was built. It's 5 or 6 years old. Anyway, I'm trying to absorb all I can from this site. After we move in, and I see what kind of test kit has been used, I may have to purchase one of the recommended ones. I strive for perfection in most everything I do, and past experiences with bad pools will keep me on track for keeping this pool immaculate. I can't wait!

Re: Soon to be - first time pool owner in western KY

Well, as of about four hours ago, I officially own a pool! Unfortunately, we won't have possession until around the middle of next week. :(
That gives you time to get a decent test kit. Even if they left a decent kit, you don;t know how old the reagents are.
http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

Re: Soon to be - first time pool owner in western KY

That's an extremely good point Richard. I've been battling back and forth whether I should go ahead and order a good test kit or see what I was left with. I believe the pool has a pool frog hybrid system that has a resilience chlorine generator. I saw the generator, and the control unit, but I can't remember the name on it. I also saw what looked like a puck tower. The pool builder said they put in a pool frog XL system, so I don't know what's up with the generator. I don't know if the pool frog was swapped out, or if it has the hybrid system, and that what the pool builder called the xl system at the time. I think I'm gonna see what I have to work with so I can see if I need a whole new kit, new reagents, or a supplemental kit like the tf-50. I hope the pool frog system is actually gone. That'll be my first step; see how much copper I have to deal with.

Ok. I went by the house and snapped a couple pictures of some of the pool equipment. It is a pool frog hybrid system like I suspected. I am going to snatch the mineral pack out as soon as we have possession, and I am ordering a test kit soon. I saw the test kit they had, and the box of chemicals I will not be using. From what I have read on here, the pool frog hybrid is a rebranded resilience generator. Anybody know how to tell which size cell it is? I read they had an A5 cell, which is good for up to 40k gallons. That would be perfect. If it is in fact an A3, I may have an issue. It is only rated for 18k gallons. Also, any reason to go to the XL size test kit if everything is sparkly and clean? I don't want to buy extra reagents and have them go bad before I need to use them. There's also a picture of the pool pump. Anybody know if that's a good one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome!

The $$ you just spent on the kit will pay for itself in this first season of use. I guarantee it.

Any sort of numbers on the SWG tube? Not that I know much about them, but if you can find anything molded into the housing, or a label of some sort, that would help.

The only thing I have is the label in the picture I posted. We don't get possession of the house til sometime next week, so that's the best I can do for now. Hopefully I'll have my test kit before we move in. I don't know if there is a timer on the pool pump or not. If not I'm gonna put one in and start dialing down the run times, and dialing up the SWG to see what she'll do. I'll probably also keep a couple gallons of bleach on hand so FC doesn't get out of hand on the low side.

Alright, the day you've all been waiting for has arrived! Here is my first set of numbers:
PH 7.6-7.7
FC 8
CC 0
CH 425
TA 70
CYA 50
Those were at noon yesterday. Last night at around 10pm I checked the PH and FC again and got 7.8 and 7.5 respectively. I had turned the SWG down a bit when I got the FC of 8 yesterday.

The SWG has 5 plates in it, so I believe that makes it a Resilience A5 which is rated for a pool up to 40K gallons. The pump does not have a timer on it, so it runs 24/7. I will put a stop to that as soon as I have a chance to wire in a timer. One thing I am wondering about is the mineral pack that they were using. I took it out when we took possession of the house. It has a center core that dispenses tri-chlor. The outer pack says it has silver chloride and something else. I can't remember what it was. I didn't see anything about copper on it, so hopefully that means I don't have copper in the pool. I'm gonna see if a local pool store can check the salt and metal content for me. I'm also planning on adding a little CYA, and some acid to keep the PH in check. How does everything else look?

One more question about the cya test. You read it when the black dot is absolutely, completely not visible, correct? I read it three times, and got 50 or just slightly less each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk