Wiring a Hayward 2HP, 2 Speed 230V w/ integrated 2 position switch

Jun 4, 2014
New York
The diagram on the pump is unreadable.
It's basically this diagram:

001.JPG

I have two hot wires, 120V each, verified with my volt meter. I can make out running one hot wire to line 3 or 4. Where do I run the other? 1 or 2? I can't tell from this diagram. There in nothing labeled LINE in the pump. Just 1, 2, 3, 4 and ground. I put my hots on 4 and 2, pump ran, but when I switched the toggle, it tripped the breaker... Tripped it to the point where I had to change it. so it's not 2. ;)

Help.

When you say this...

The diagram on the pump is unreadable.
It's basically this diagram:

Are you saying this is not the actual diagram from your motor? Is it the exact same one though? Can you post a picture of the connections inside the motor? Are you sure you have 240 volts at the wires to the pump?

When you say this...

Are you saying this is not the actual diagram from your motor? Is it the exact same one though? Can you post a picture of the connections inside the motor? Are you sure you have 240 volts at the wires to the pump?

When I say "unreadable" I can't determine where the "yellow" wire goes (exactly the same in the image I posted). Is it 1 or 2? Can you tell from the image above? It looks like 2 to me, but that shorted everything out on me and fried my breaker.

It's the same wiring diagram that is on my new Hayward motor. I checked the electrical line with my meter. 120v on each hot wire. Basically a pluggable cord the electrician made so the pump can be disconnected and stored for the winter.
I will post a pic of the connections, but it's basically layed out the same as the diagram.

ETA: oh, boy... My power wires that I'm supposed to connect are labeled "line" not the wires on the left. I'm so stupid. The wiring on the left (black, yellow) is actually a diagram of the integrated switch that came with the pump. Man, I'm dumb.

That diagram is pretty bad. You should have to connect one of your LINE wires to the middle of the switch and the other to one of the terminals (1 I think). Then the 2 wires from the switch should go to the other 2 terminals ... although not sure why they show the white wire running off to nowhere. :scratch:

That diagram is pretty bad. You should have to connect one of your LINE wires to the middle of the switch and the other to one of the terminals (1 I think). Then the 2 wires from the switch should go to the other 2 terminals ... although not sure why they show the white wire running off to nowhere. :scratch:

The switch wiring is already factory connected. They were connected when the motor arrived. My confusion was I was reading the internal switch wiring as the power wiring... And my wiring in the "plug" the electrician made just happens to have black and yellow insulation (my hot wires), so I just didn't think... Just a bad coincidence....

So I wired hot leads to connector 2 and 3, instead of connector 1 and 3.
Obviously 3 was fine (I guess it's line 2), pump powered when I switched my panel switch on, but when I toggled the motor switch, it popped the breaker because it had a hot wire going to connector 2 (is this "common"?) instead of connector 1 (which I guess is Line 1). My breaker popped right away (and fried) as confirmed when I just attached my old pump. I swapped out the 2 20 Amp fuses, and the old pump was fine. I'm hoping there is no damage to anything in the new pump, nothing fried on it, so I imagine I just sent 120V onto the other hot line, which caused it to fault.
I guess if anything can fry, it would be the "power saving unit" that is piggy backed on the outside of the pump? Or the switch assembly? What do you think?

You should be fine. The breaker should have tripped before anything was damaged.

The two hot wires get wired to 1 and 3, as shown in the diagram.

Excellent. Thanks.
I'm going to use the old pump assembly as a power vac. It's 18 years old, I have changed the seals on it twice.
My heater too. 17 years old, I have fully disassembled it TWICE to replace parts, paint the housing. Still runs like a charm. I removed the flame unit this weekend to sand blast and clean out the spider eggs and ended up with 4 stitches (and a tetanus shot) on my middle finger by a slip and whack into rusty sheet metal. Heh heh.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.