Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bond Pool Auto Cover Lid??

1. Back To Top    #1

Bond Pool Auto Cover Lid??

So we just passed the bonding inspection and maybe I'm being paranoid but we're putting in a cover star cover and it's mounted in a polymer box but the lid is metal. Do we need to bond that lid? Seems like probably yes but if so I'll need to make provision for that before we close the bonding trenches. Those of you that have auto covers, is you lid bonded? If so, does it have a bonding lug??
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bond Pool Auto Cover Lid??

Technically I'd say yes, it should be bonded, but since it's a component of a system I don't think the bonding has to be direct to the bonding wire in the trench. If you could bond it to some other portion of the mechanism and so long as that mechanism was bonded to the main bonding circuit I would think that would work. Since the cover opens and closes, you'd want a flexible connection, not something made out of #8 solid wire.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Have never had an inspector require the aluminum lid be bonded as everything else is. By extension the way the mechanism mounts it will carry the bond to the lid. It isn't directly bonded though.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

Swimcmp when you say the mechanism is bonded are you carrying a bonding wire into the polymer housing from the loop around the pool?
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yes. My inspectors here require the deck bond loop to pickup the lugs on the autocover.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics