Recovery from algae bloom- Taylor K 2006 results

Jun 1, 2014
Dewitt, Arkansas
I have been battling an algae bloom. My water is now mostly clear but on the hazy side. I just received my Taylor K 2006 today. Here are my tests results

7.4 PH
7 FC
0.5 CC
190 CH
190 TA
45 CYA

Should I lower my TA by lowering my PH and just allow my fountain to bring my PH back up? Does anyone have any other advice concerning my results?

I was just beginning to maintain my FC, when my other levels were out of wack so I adjusted them in the evening and by morning I had again lost all my FC.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry it's taken a while to follow up, I've been out of town and we've had storms. My water is now clear and my FC is holding Wahoo!! :cool:

So now.....

I've been keeping my chlorine on the higher side (1. Because I'm nervous after my first slam 2. Because we have had lots of on and off storms. I'm sure it's overkill but I'm not ready to trust myself with targeting chlorine levels just yet. Especially when the are several others factors going on such as me being away and the recent stormy weather.

It has rained for the last 18 hours or so here are my latest results.

FC 11
PH 7.5
TA 140
CYA 55

Should I adjust my TA?
How long is too long to keep my chlorine levels up this high?
I'm assuming it will begin to bleach my liner......?
I also have this brown (sand colored) sediment that keeps showing back up in the bottom of my pool. I've seen a few posts that seem like might be the same issues, I plan to read up on them but if you have any advice on that topic, I'd greatly appreciate it too!! The liner and water were replaced last year. I never had problems with this until the end of the year and I just attributed it to late summer laziness on my part.

Thanks again!

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Devour it, You will find that the buffering affect of CYA will make the "high" chlorine levels you speak of completely harmless to you or your liner or anything else. Forget about the rain...it typically has little effect on a pool.

It appears to me like all you need is to let your FC drift down into the suggested 4-6 range and keep it there and have a great swim season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.