Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recovery from algae bloom- Taylor K 2006 results

1. Back To Top    #1

Recovery from algae bloom- Taylor K 2006 results

I have been battling an algae bloom. My water is now mostly clear but on the hazy side. I just received my Taylor K 2006 today. Here are my tests results

7.4 PH
    7 FC
    0.5 CC
    190 CH
    190 TA
    45 CYA

Should I lower my TA by lowering my PH and just allow my fountain to bring my PH back up? Does anyone have any other advice concerning my results?

I was just beginning to maintain my FC, when my other levels were out of wack so I adjusted them in the evening and by morning I had again lost all my FC.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    18x33x4.5 Oval AG*55x30 deck*ecoKleer 26" sand filter*Waterway 1.5HP pump*Taylor 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recovery from algae bloom- Taylor K 2006 results

Welcome to TFP!

Don't worry about TA until you are completely done fighting the algae. With FC still going to zero, you have some work left to get rid of the last of the algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry it's taken a while to follow up, I've been out of town and we've had storms. My water is now clear and my FC is holding Wahoo!!

So now.....

I've been keeping my chlorine on the higher side (1. Because I'm nervous after my first slam 2. Because we have had lots of on and off storms. I'm sure it's overkill but I'm not ready to trust myself with targeting chlorine levels just yet. Especially when the are several others factors going on such as me being away and the recent stormy weather.

It has rained for the last 18 hours or so here are my latest results.

FC 11
    PH 7.5
    TA 140
    CYA 55

Should I adjust my TA?
    How long is too long to keep my chlorine levels up this high?
    I'm assuming it will begin to bleach my liner......?
    I also have this brown (sand colored) sediment that keeps showing back up in the bottom of my pool. I've seen a few posts that seem like might be the same issues, I plan to read up on them but if you have any advice on that topic, I'd greatly appreciate it too!! The liner and water were replaced last year. I never had problems with this until the end of the year and I just attributed it to late summer laziness on my part.

Thanks again!
    18x33x4.5 Oval AG*55x30 deck*ecoKleer 26" sand filter*Waterway 1.5HP pump*Taylor 2006

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Devour it, You will find that the buffering affect of CYA will make the "high" chlorine levels you speak of completely harmless to you or your liner or anything else. Forget about the rain...it typically has little effect on a pool.

It appears to me like all you need is to let your FC drift down into the suggested 4-6 range and keep it there and have a great swim season.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School