new pool burning eyes

Jun 22, 2008
My new 20,000 gallon inground pool is 4 weeks old and the kids eyes seem to burn when swimming. my water levels are as follows:

FC= 2
CC= 0
pH= 7.5
T/A= 100
CYA= 40

Any advice? Or should my kids just wear goggles?

New water is very low in salinity, which can make the water irritating to the eyes. Adding some salt will probably make it easier on their eyes. I think most people are happy around 900-1000ppm.

Also, with a CYA of 40 you should never let FC go below 3. The normal FC range is 3-7. Low FC can result in small amounts of CC, which can irritate. It also makes it much simpler for algae to get started.

oh, one more question. I have been pretty dilligent about testing my water, usually twice per day. At what point can i expect the pool PH to stabilize so I can go a few days without checking and know that PH is fine. or, will this ever happen?

If you have new plaster, you can expect the PH to rise rapidly for three or four weeks, and then more slowly for up to a year.

In general, it often takes a couple of weeks to get used to how your pool behaves so that you can anticipate what it will need and not need to test quite as frequently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.